York Show

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Loomis

York Show

Post by Loomis »

Is anybody with a recumbent thinking of camping at the York Show this year? I went last year with my Giro 20, but felt a bit like a spare part. As I was inexperienced with it then I decided not to go on the runs or Minster on Sunday. A year later I am a bit more confident.
martinQS

Re: York Show

Post by martinQS »

Where are you situated are you driving there then riding or riding to it from home .Got hold of a Rapied long base recumbent had lots of different bikes ,velomobile high racer etc .had two bikes stolen last month.All i have now is this rapide i doing up ,
Martin
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

I drive to the show and then pootle about on the bike when I get there. I find unfamiliar roads quite intimidating as I get older, especially with the modern disaster of compulsive phone use in car.
martinQS

Post by martinQS »

Where are you based? me i,l ride 50 -100 miles on recumbent have a old long base at the moment i`m in derbyshire
Loomis

Post by Loomis »

I live in south east Northumberland. Superb traffic free roads.
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I ride a Giro 20 and live in Newcastle. A few years ago I caught the train to Darlington and rode the rest of the way to the York show on a folding bike carrying full camping gear. Most of it on the A19!! because I was short on time. I think it always rains at the show.
Campievanner

Post by Campievanner »

Windmiller - can I ask how long that took ? Not that I am thinking of doing it. More interest really.
Was there a reason you didn't stay on train to York ? Don't fancy cycling on the A19 myself.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Campievanner wrote:Windmiller - can I ask how long that took ? Not that I am thinking of doing it. More interest really.
Was there a reason you didn't stay on train to York ? Don't fancy cycling on the A19 myself.

+1 re A19.

I live less than 60 miles from York in County Durham and the 'best' route I can come up with to avoid main roads pans out at over 80 miles. I usually camp for the weekend but this year will drive down for the day, not sure if it'll be Saturday or Sunday, I'll wait for the weather forecast.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I got off the train at Darlington rather than York because I wanted a decent ride and I had never cycled that particular section from Newcastle to York. Although central/east Durham has its' share of scenic wonders, the best parts are in the west as you know. So I bypassed the grimage.

The early part of the ride was a nightmare, two cyclists were hit by a car on a clear wide road in good weather, one was fatally injured. I must have only been a few miles behind them but the road was already blocked off by police cars, ambulances and a helicopter. I had to do a large detour, ended up slightly lost and nervy of every car that sped past me.

To save time I stuck to the A19 which wasn't as bad as I thought although not my intended route which was to run very roughly parallel with it. The ride took about 5 hours incuding the detour and lots of stops.

I had planned this Thursday night to catch the train to Darlington again and ride 20 miles to the Leyburn area and camp, before continuing the next morning on an A19 free ride to York.
But the weather looks like it's going to be complete nasty [rude word removed] from Thursday onwards. Will probably end up doing the same as you Byegad.

:| I bought a new tent too, don't mind sleeping in the rain but riding in several days of it I find as much fun as gouging my eyeballs out with a blunt spoon.