Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Re: Shimano Alfine 11 - Longer term reliability

Post by jb »

You need tool 47 to slide through the drive side bearing and knock the axle assembly from the bearing cone, after you have removed the selector ring and the seal gubbins. Knocking the shaft end could damage the coil spring assembly from what I remember.
Cheers
J Bro
mart430

Post by mart430 »

Thanks J Bro

So the tool is used to knock the axle assembly from the cone. How are the items refitted onto the new shaft - is it just a press fit? Is there another tool required?
jb

Post by jb »

Cant remember exactly but it wasn't a big deal. You don't need a different tool I'm fairly certain that the cone is shoved up the groove by the nut holding the selector on, you can push it some of the way. Getting it off is more difficult because everything is hidden by the clutch assembly you need to understand how this fits together before letting the spring and the plate come apart when you have knocked the cone off.

And watch out for the delicate lip seal that is in the sprocket housing and seals onto the cone.
Cheers
J Bro
mart430

Post by mart430 »

OK, thanks JBro

I'll let you know how I get on......
jb

Post by jb »

Don't attempt to dissemble the selector mechanism unless its broken, or unless your very brave. It doesn't go back together very easily. I doubt you would get parts for this anyway.
Cheers
J Bro
vanGoose

Post by vanGoose »

mart430 wrote:OK, thanks JBro

I'll let you know how I get on......

Try my 2 years old book... plenty of pictures and (sorry 'bout that...) even more words.
I was working on a different problem, but stripping it down to the very bones was just too interesting to not try...
THIS is your link to get it. Free to anybody for any use without any warranty. Link valid until 2021-02-12.

https://c.gmx.net/@329602864890517692/P ... EjXCnpZyCw
Best regards
vanGoose
everyday cyclist, sram-3, spectro-s7, a-8, a-11, r-14
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Hello.
I am new here so please don't hit hard :-) BTW English is my second language.

I have alfine 11 sg-700 on my bike.
The problem - no low gears. I stripped down the gears and found nothing. So I moved to axle gear selector and probably the clutch is broken. It did not move back while putting 6-1 gears. It is still like on 7-11 gears. I stripped down the first gear with special tool - self made pipe with cuts on it. It went bad... I mean I droped the axle and everything felt out... Springs, washers, whatever there was. So thee problem is: how to put that back together. What goes first and in which way. I know it is going to be pain in the *** but I have to do that.
Please help.
Best regards from sunny Poland.
Simon
zeluzel

Post by zeluzel »

VanGoose posted a little lecture on A11 in pdf and it covers rebuilding a shifting mechanism. Hit him or I can mail it to you in the evening if you're in hurry.

Pozdróweczki :)

edit: VanGoose is an user of this forum
SimonT

Post by SimonT »

Thanks man.
Oh Yes, I am in big hurry. I already bought bike trailer for my son... One trip and my bike broke...
Pozdrawiam 👍

The link does not work anymore. Please send me that pdf on t.simon@interia.pl Thank You.

Edit: it seems to be working. Thanks to that manual made by vanGoose - nice work.
ldn2021

Post by ldn2021 »

Related to this thread but nothing I’ve read here specifically, I’ve had issues with my hub since new and finally resolved it; wanted to share in case it helps someone else Googling for answers.

The issue was friction in the hub. The hub wouldn’t freewheel correctly, when walking the bike the pedals would turn, there was some obvious slack in the system when resuming pedalling after freewheeling along, and the hub was hard to rotate. This was from new. Over time the problem improved until it was no longer an issue. Then I replaced the sprocket and it came back.

Eventually worked out that “Y37R75000 Right Hand Dust Cap D” was faulty out of the factory and was creating a torsion-bearing “bridge” across the bearing on the RHS. The aluminium part hard been stamped into shape, but it hadn’t then been machined down to the correct thickness. I bought a replacement and it was 2mm thinner, and the bottom lip was cleanly machined, not rough. £2 replacement part. A bit miffed that it was this simple and faulty from new — I generally assume that if something breaks, I must have done thing — but an easy fix and much simpler than taking the hub apart.

Hope this helps someone!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hopefully the last two little bits I need to get mine (a 700 version) installed will arrive soon, then I can mount it up and do an oil change before really testing it out.

Taken it out of the wheel it was in and given it a really good clean up on the outside, my dustcover is in fact knurled, and was tight, but hand removable. The oil visible under there was clean, though I haven't looked at removing the internals for an inspection and to wipe out the shell yet... worth doing?

Also alot of crud in the cable channel and generally around the drive side, so new cable, new outer, new stop and bellows... should end up being as crisp as I can make it.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

Definitely worth doing if you've gone that far, its certainly not possible to flush crud out the drain hole IMO. no matter how many times you flush it.
Some kind of mud guard round that cassette pulley would improve things a lot as well I think.
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

jb wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 9:43am Definitely worth doing if you've gone that far, its certainly not possible to flush crud out the drain hole IMO. no matter how many times you flush it.
Some kind of mud guard round that cassette pulley would improve things a lot as well I think.
Would a velo shell count as a mudguard :lol: :mrgreen:

I haven't actually looked in detail at the remaining steps to pull the internals out, I just took the "obvious" outer bits off.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

Remove the non drive side lock nut & cone and pull out from the drive side - simples. Then you can wipe out the hub internally & check for metal flakes. Also give the internal gubbins a bath and a flush but they don't need to be dismantled.

Replacing it takes a bit of patience to get the cone adjustment right but that's all. and be careful not to catch the NDS oil seal on the axle threads.
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I had seen various descriptions of simple - It just wasn't on the "obvious" side :lol:
That implies that I was looking at the drive side end of the internals, so the clarity of the oil there is probably a good sign. The wheel clearly had had some use, but with clear oil it has probably also seen some servicing.