If the dog dazer thing works?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

If the dog dazer thing works?

Post by ukdodger »

I was chased by two spaniels in Cornwall. They went 'kin berserk and had they been bigger and caught me my legs would have been bitten. I saw an ad for this high pitched gadget and wondered if it's any good. Has anyone tried it in anger?
Stonepark

Re: If the dog dazer thing works?

Post by Stonepark »

Doesn't work at all once the red mist comes down.... try looking up home made pepper spray, much more effective
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I have it on good authority from another thread on here that the reason dogs chase bikes is because they can hear the spokes tinkling. I guess that means if you use disc wheels you should be OK. I think I will try it with the big Rotweiller down the road tomorrow. :evil:
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

the reason dogs chase bikes is because they can hear the spokes tinkling

I thought it was because it was hairless meat
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

yakdiver wrote:
the reason dogs chase bikes is because they can hear the spokes tinkling

I thought it was because it was hairless meat

:lol: :lol:. I've been chased several times but always on the flat so could get away. Sooner or later though they're gonna get me on a hill.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Let me say first of all, I'm delighted that I've never had to use my Dog Dazer in anger.

http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/

When I first bought it, in the days before this forum, I did as much research as I could to make sure I wasn't simply wasting my money. Either directly or indirectly through aquaintances I spoke to Dog wardens, other users and even the main regional Post Office staff training department (who were most helpful to such an unsolicited call).

In a nutshell, the feedback has been;

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It depends on the dog. One anecdote related to a frenzied dog in France with a snapped chain attached to it's collar :shock: that went away. Against that there are other less hopeful stories.
They don't work against packs of dogs :shock:
The Post Office were clear that individual dogs can get used to it and are therefore immune to it. So if it's the pesky dog at #15 you're trying to defend yourself against every day, then forget it.
Dog Dazers have been issued to Government Farm Inspectors (I do not know if that is still the case, my information is from 2 or 3 years ago on that one)

On balance, I decided the money might be well spent to have a last ditch defence come a fateful moment. A 10% chance (my estimate) at that point would be worth the then £30 (I reckon)

Oh, and it does nake a loud noise - I've checked mine with a sound meter, which registered the signal - which I couldn't hear of course.

I carry mine more when I'm walking rather than cycling tbh.

Hope this helps.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

DavidT wrote:Let me say first of all, I'm delighted that I've never had to use my Dog Dazer in anger.

http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/

When I first bought it, in the days before this forum, I did as much research as I could to make sure I wasn't simply wasting my money. Either directly or indirectly through aquaintances I spoke to Dog wardens, other users and even the main regional Post Office staff training department (who were most helpful to such an unsolicited call).

In a nutshell, the feedback has been;

Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. It depends on the dog. One anecdote related to a frenzied dog in France with a snapped chain attached to it's collar :shock: that went away. Against that there are other less hopeful stories.
They don't work against packs of dogs :shock:
The Post Office were clear that individual dogs can get used to it and are therefore immune to it. So if it's the pesky dog at #15 you're trying to defend yourself against every day, then forget it.
Dog Dazers have been issued to Government Farm Inspectors (I do not know if that is still the case, my information is from 2 or 3 years ago on that one)

On balance, I decided the money might be well spent to have a last ditch defence come a fateful moment. A 10% chance (my estimate) at that point would be worth the then £30 (I reckon)

Oh, and it does nake a loud noise - I've checked mine with a sound meter, which registered the signal - which I couldn't hear of course.

I carry mine more when I'm walking rather than cycling tbh.

Hope this helps.

It does indeed. Thanks for your input.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm sure we have had some feedback on here before about these and other mutt-related issues. I also remember a review in the CTC mag, long before there was a forum IIRC. I've no experience of these at all, but the three comments I remember from reading other users' reviews were that:-

Older dogs may be deaf anyway.
Once a dog has launched itself into a leap, it has no way of turning tail, even if it wants to.
In occasional use, deploying it (AKA getting it out and using it) can be too slow to be any use.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

I will endorse what DavidT says. I have one of these devices but it only cost me £7 a couple of years ago off eBay. I try to remember always to take it with me when out running or cycling, this being the first hurdle. When carnivorous attention looming, the next hurdle is to avoid being fumble-fingered getting the device out of my pocket, pointing at the hound, right way up and activated timely (and surreptitiously if owner watching) and await results.

Some dogs shy away immediately. Others hover around at a distance of a metre or two. And still others will totally ignore it :( . So it is best to have a Plan B.

In summary though they DO work quite well for 50% of dogs, enough to have encouraged for me to get one for Mrs chrisc as well, and me a Yorkshireman too.
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

chrisc wrote:... I have one of these devices but it only cost me £7 a couple of years ago off eBay. ...

Did the vendor say why they were letting it go?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What does the Law say about attacking dogs being counter-attacked?

Providing the attacking dog isn't a big Alsatian or Rotty etc, most can be wrestled and hurt/injured/killed. I reckon I'd have compunction about killing one. How would I stand legally?
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Adjust your spoke tension. Slightly looser.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... Providing the attacking dog isn't a big Alsatian or Rotty etc, most can be wrestled and hurt/injured/killed. I reckon I'd have compunction about killing one. How would I stand legally?

How would you stand at all if it bit your legs off?

Here's my post on danfoto's recent thread about anti-mutt legalities.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64764&p=552903&hilit=cruelty#p552903
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

chrisc wrote:I will endorse what DavidT says. I have one of these devices but it only cost me £7 a couple of years ago off eBay. I try to remember always to take it with me when out running or cycling, this being the first hurdle. When carnivorous attention looming, the next hurdle is to avoid being fumble-fingered getting the device out of my pocket, pointing at the hound, right way up and activated timely (and surreptitiously if owner watching) and await results.

Some dogs shy away immediately. Others hover around at a distance of a metre or two. And still others will totally ignore it :( . So it is best to have a Plan B.

In summary though they DO work quite well for 50% of dogs, enough to have encouraged for me to get one for Mrs chrisc as well, and me a Yorkshireman too.

Good points. I didnt know they have to be pointed and yes the few times I've been chased had I stopped to fiddle with the Dazer it/they would have got me. I wonder if power output would solve it. A bigger Dazer with a louder signal. ie the same frequency but larger signal amplitude.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One of my neighbours is a retired dog-handler, indeed, a retired trainer of dog-handlers. I'm not going to go banging on his door but the next time we are having a reminiscence session, I'll ask him if he has any suggestions. He'll not suggest anything that would unnecessaily harm a mutt, but if there is a general solution, rather than simply pedalling much harder, he's likely to know. I don't know why I didn't think of asking hime before.