TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Psamathe »

I go illegal tomorrow! I went online yesterday to renew and ev

en though they can post you your licence, they wont renew without an e-mail address and I wont give them my e-mail address - they don't need it, have no valid use for it so they have no reason to require it. But that means I can''t renew online and on Sat they are closed so my license runs out end of today and I've tried and their needless data collection has blocked me from renewing.

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Psamathe wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 11:08ameven though they can post you your licence, they wont renew without an e-mail address and I wont give them my e-mail address
Will any email address do, in that case ?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

DaveReading wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 2:38pm
Psamathe wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 11:08ameven though they can post you your licence, they wont renew without an e-mail address and I wont give them my e-mail address
Will any email address do, in that case ?
Trouble is you have no idea what they might send to it (e.g. an e-mail containing full name, address, renewal date).

I thought UK was still under the UK's implementation of GDPR and as such organisations need to have good reason for the data they collect, particularly if it is in effect mandatory (and renewal of TV license if a legal requirement though you can renew through post). Either way, my understanding is they need to have good reason to collect information and if you've checked the option to receive a paper license through the post then there is no requirement for any e-mail address.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do it by letter and write a cheque.

Stay off eMail with them as they'll be hounding you every year on your screen.
Make the buggers write to you.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 4:27pm Do it by letter and write a cheque.

Stay off eMail with them as they'll be hounding you every year on your screen.
Make the buggers write to you.
Plan was to call them on Monday and point out their contravention of GDPR (at least my belief of a contravention).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The poor soul in the call centre isn't to blame for the TV licensing system, nor the antics of Crapita in their publican role. I suppose that currently, this may not be a call centre with a big counter on the wall showing how many callers are waiting; it may be the WFH equivalent.

(Publican as in "tax farmer.")
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 6:11pm The poor soul in the call centre isn't to blame for the TV licensing system, nor the antics of Crapita in their publican role. I suppose that currently, this may not be a call centre with a big counter on the wall showing how many callers are waiting; it may be the WFH equivalent.

(Publican as in "tax farmer.")
My normal approach is to register my complaint and tell them to escalate it to management. Give the company a deadline to respond and/or rectify their systems and if neither register a complaint with the ICO.

Paying by phone is not offered as an option.

No intention of writing (paper) nd paying for a stamp and no intention of giving them my e-mail address.

Ian
peetee

Post by peetee »

Can you still purchase a license in a post office?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No. Sadly.

By letter and cheque or online.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Formal complaint submitted. They have 8 days to respond (in writing by post).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brilliant.
Keep us informed please.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As you may know, the company has to post a privacy notice, which declares why they need data about you, what data they keep, how they keep it and how long they plan to keep it. You have a legal right to ask for a record of the data they keep that identifies you as an indivudual and also a right to request that they delete it.
I suspect the company will couch the request for email addresses in terms of efficiency.
(The above falls under the EU's GDP regulations, which were inherited from our membership of the EU and will, at some time in the future, be abandonded in favour of the UK's own arrangments about which I know little.)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All this pales into insignificance compared to the price of a 2nd Class stamp.

They need a name and they need an address. That's all.
End of story.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

This just arrived.
They are a bit late with the festively coloured envelope, but it’s the thought that counts, I suppose.
66DD3BF5-5108-4544-A8CC-C29FC66E488E.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Nov 2021, 12:17pm Formal complaint submitted. They have 8 days to respond (in writing by post).

Ian
Mick F wrote: 1 Nov 2021, 3:04pm Brilliant.
Keep us informed please.
Bearing in mind that 8 weeks have passed, is there any news? (Request on behalf of Mick F)