TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: TV licensing...

Post by philvantwo »

Was watching 'Warship, life at sea' earlier this evening, what's that whistle for every morning Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"Whistle"?

In the RN it's a Bosun's Call - piping is the expression.

They are used ceremonially at Colours and Sunset, when the CO comes onboard or steps ashore, to salute passing warships, and to announce Call the Hands at 06:30 or whatever. There are other occasions.

Two quick pipes, are to signal the Officer of the Day to the gangway to get there ASAP.
I was often the OOD on various ships.

Not seen the prog, so I couldn't say specifically what you heard.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You should watch it Mick F, hardest work seemed to be in the kitchen to me, it's a wonder they don't run out of food! How much drinking water can they store on HMS Northumberland?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tend not to "store" drinking water.
I served in HMS Marlborough and Argyll, and was involved with most of them. I was in Glasgow during the build of Iron Duke, Argyll and Lancaster. Also Monmouth and Montrose at the early stages.

On modern ships, fresh water is made using reverse osmosis with the seawater. Yes, it goes into tanks for ready use and is pumped to the taps and the hot water system, but not "stored" as such.

When alongside in ports, the system is connected to the mains water.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 5:01pm
thirdcrank wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 5:31pm The Bilsdale transmitter saga drags on

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-58544594

Re The Blue Lion in East Witton, mentioned in that report, well-worth a visit if you like places without music. (Currently a no-no if you like the telly.)
UPDATE

Bilsdale transmitter: New temporary mast to be switched on in February

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-60056252
I know this is irrelevant to reluctant TV licensees in some area but here's the latest for those affected

Bilsdale transmitter: Work on replacement expected to start soon
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-y ... e-60445095
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...and back to the perceived value of the Beeb and the consequent purchase or not, of a licence, here's a snapshot from '100 cultural figures'.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's perhaps significant that that link is to the Grauniad. I only read the first few comments which seem to be from people who have personally benefited - in some cases hugely benefited - from the funding system and that's the big issue imo. I don't doubt the benefit of the BBC but in the lingo, the problem is the legacy funding system. It seems ironic that although a pic of Gary Linneker is used to head the piece, "find on page" didn't find anything from him.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Hiya Pardner:Historically there were 4 channels.Everyone watched.Britain ruled the waves.It also had the best TV. My Mothers favourite was "Here's Lucy".If you want a smile to flicker on your Mum's/Grandparents lips.Show them You tube clips.
I do not watch TV.I do have a set used one hour a month - IF that.I always listen to BBC radio as does the world.

When I did not have a set.I sent the BBC a letter.It was meant to be a humorous pleading dire poverty and six children.The lady who replied said she read it and cried.It did have however one desired effect.Letters and people with huge tattoo's stopped knocking.Try it (up it to ten children to allow for inflation).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Not in answer to anyone in particular just passing a comment:-
I'd pay the TV licence for David Attenborough's nature programs alone,and that's before I get onto some of the other very good BBC programs and dramas,not to mention the excellent radio coverage both national and local.

And yes I know all about some of the top personalities being over paid and I kdo know of some of the dross on TV but what better value than 45pence a day?.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... what better value than 45pence a day?.
I see a large loaf at Aldi is £1-10, so if you were skint, you could make it last a couple of days, or with a tug of the forelock to the cultural élite, I see Aldi brioche starts at 89p.

(Explanation: Marie Antoinette didn't say "Let them eat cake." If she did make a suggestion it was to eat brioche)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

45p a day is a pittance maybe ..................... if you could pay it like that.
Pay it by the year, and it's £150 or thereabouts.
The TVL is an annual licence, not a daily/weekly/monthly one.

Mrs Mick F paid her TVL which expires 31s March this year.
I don't want it, and would never do.
She does, and has paid for it, but she's off and away to Gambia 28th Feb on charity work, and not back until the end of April.

Her plan, is to get in touch with TVL and "pause" her TVL for a month, or just let the TVL lapse for a month at the end of March ................... and/or start a brand new in May.
Knowing them, they would backdate it to 1st April and she would lose a month.
She's going to ask during the week, but I'm not hopeful in the slightest.

I'll keep you all informed. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

£159 IS 45pence a day.If you must put it in a tin every day and at the end of a year you have enough to buy a TV licence :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you didn't need it for anything else, but why should people who never watch the BBC shell out so others can enjoy high brow telly?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Ho,
thirdcrank wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 7:31pm If you didn't need it for anything else, but why should people who never watch the BBC shell out so others can enjoy high brow telly?
I would like to see the BBC's official answer to that question?
I think I'll be waiting a long time for anything that will hold water.

"High brow telly "I hope that was a sarcastic remark.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Not sarcastic at all. The BBC has always produced programmes presenting things like classical music. literature and even the BBC's quizes have had an intellectual aspect. I remember children's programmes like All your own (Huw Wheldon?) and I remember how much more I enjoyed The Cisco Kid when ITV launched (1955?) Blue Peter and Newsround are in the same genre: good for the viewer but imo not to be financed by people who don't want to watch. Being realistic, the days of what might be termed paternalistic media are over.