TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:19pm
Jdsk wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 10:07pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 10:01pmDo non-BBC broadcasters receive any money from the TV licence?
"Money raised from the licence fee pays for BBC shows and services - including TV, radio, the BBC website, podcasts, iPlayer and apps."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

A great and valuable resourse to the nation IMO and well worth 45p a day!
You forgot to include a gratuitous insult because the source of the data is the BBC!

; - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 7:49am I think the question described as "rigged" began with a reply by me to a post about the value of of a TV licence when calculated on a daily basis, which quoted a series by David Attenburgh.

In this country, where so many modern inflations were pioneered (?) we are left with legacy systems. (Legacy being another way of saying "we wouldn't do it like that now.") This thread and previous ones have gone round and round over this. Indeed, the rapid spread of social media could mean that the concept of programmes produced for a mass telly audiences is increasingly irrelevant. The leadership of the BBC has not been agile in this matter - "entitlement" seems another relevant word in the lingo. They persisted till recently with heavy-handed enforcement and the "reminders" catalogued by Mick F and others continue.

We seem now to be in the worst possible situation in that the licence model drags on and is used by government to work the (puppet) strings of the BBC. That's one of the dilemmas: do we want public service broadcasting to be diminished by market forces or government influence?
The BBC has to cater(sorry again)for many diverse tastes it does that well IMV.
The problem presently from political POV is we have a Political Party in government currently running roughshod over the very people who put it there and who hate the BBC with a passion,and which is desperately trying to destroy it because it doesn't fit their political agenda.
The BBC,AFAICS is doing it's best to survive by riding out the storm until the country comes to it's senses again and chooses a more sane government rather than a Satanic one!

I firmly believe those posing on this thread that would abolish the BBC licence fee haven't a clue the repercussions they'd suffer if it were to be abolished!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:29pm
reohn2 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:19pm ]

You forgot to include a gratuitous insult because the source of the data is the BBC!

; - )

Jonathan
Oops sorry I forgot :wink:
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm trying to draw a difference between BBC management and BBC journalism, which I'm saying has been affected by the mismanagement of the former.

If nobody can criticise this we're on a slippy (sic) slope. Another point I've already made is that the BBC management failed to anticipate the changes and would to better now to catch up, rather than trying to drag their corporate feet.
===================================
My earlier post wasn't intended as a gratuitous insult - it was intended as plain criticism .
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

reohn2 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:34pm
Jdsk wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:29pm
reohn2 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:19pm ]

; - )

Oops sorry I forgot :wink:
: - )

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 2:38pm I'm trying to draw a difference between BBC management and BBC journalism, which I'm saying has been affected by the mismanagement of the former.

If nobody can criticise this we're on a slippy (sic) slope. Another point I've already made is that the BBC management failed to anticipate the changes and would to better now to catch up, rather than trying to drag their corporate feet.
===================================
My earlier post wasn't intended as a gratuitous insult - it was intended as plain criticism .
TBH I don't follow the management side of the BBC much but I do recocognise a national treasure when I see one,even from afar :wink:

No offence taken,and even if there were I can always forgive you Mick :wink:
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm getting confused. I thought the gratuitous insult comment referred to my criticism of the presentation of the link originally, but it's only an internet forum so it doesn't merit more global warming.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 6:29pm Mrs Mick F paid her TVL which expires 31s March this year.
I don't want it, and would never do.
She does, and has paid for it, but she's off and away to Gambia 28th Feb on charity work, and not back until the end of April.

Her plan, is to get in touch with TVL and "pause" her TVL for a month, or just let the TVL lapse for a month at the end of March ................... and/or start a brand new in May.
Knowing them, they would backdate it to 1st April and she would lose a month.
She's going to ask during the week, but I'm not hopeful in the slightest.
I'll keep you all informed. :wink:
She phoned them today.
I was wrong, her TVL expires 28th Feb ........ end of this month.
Off to Gambia the same day, and the chap agrees that the her TVL will lapse and she can start a new one at the beginning of May.

I don't want the telly, and won't be even considering watching the thing. She only watches it (when at home) after I've gone to bed.

Mentioned a couple of pages back and about listening to BBC Radio. I listen to Today on R4 most mornings but not every morning. I also listen to PM and the 6 o'Clock News most days too ......... but not every day. I understand that Just a Minute is on at 6pm today, so we may listen to that.

JaM is available free on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... t+a+minute
Mick F. Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I pay for my TV licence - at one time I used to pay for my radio licence which caused some consternation in the post office as people rarely did so - it was abolished shortly after.
I like the BBC - it produces a wide variety of programmes some of which suit my taste - and there are none of the commercial advertisements which disrupt a programme.

IMO they waste a fair bit of money on quite uninformative outside broadcasting - there was a windswept young woman today standing outside Windsor castle telling us nothing new about the Queen having a mild dose of Covid.
I find that sort of thing irritating.

I also have a Sky subscription - I took that out because I wanted Eurosport to watch cycle racing - and I have Sky broadband.
I could do without most of the Sky output apart from eurosport.

The BBC is relatively cheap compared to Sky and probably better value.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Prompted by reading various assertions upthread, I trundled off to see if I could find any dependable figures re news media and uptake and ended up on the Ofcom website - never thought to look there before!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 4:02pm
Mick F wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 6:29pm Mrs Mick F paid her TVL which expires 31s March this year.
I don't want it, and would never do.
She does, and has paid for it, but she's off and away to Gambia 28th Feb on charity work, and not back until the end of April.

Her plan, is to get in touch with TVL and "pause" her TVL for a month, or just let the TVL lapse for a month at the end of March ................... and/or start a brand new in May.
Knowing them, they would backdate it to 1st April and she would lose a month.
She's going to ask during the week, but I'm not hopeful in the slightest.
I'll keep you all informed. :wink:
She phoned them today.
I was wrong, her TVL expires 28th Feb ........ end of this month.
Off to Gambia the same day, and the chap agrees that the her TVL will lapse and she can start a new one at the beginning of May.

I don't want the telly, and won't be even considering watching the thing. She only watches it (when at home) after I've gone to bed.

Mentioned a couple of pages back and about listening to BBC Radio. I listen to Today on R4 most mornings but not every morning. I also listen to PM and the 6 o'Clock News most days too ......... but not every day. I understand that Just a Minute is on at 6pm today, so we may listen to that.

JaM is available free on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... t+a+minute
You take but aren't willing to give....
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Sticking to the letter of the law (and why ever not?!) no licence is required to listen to BBC's radio output. It's a moot point as to whether it's the decent thing to do (whatever that may mean) and I have mulled over the decision myself, off and on.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Jdsk wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 10:07pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 10:01pmDo non-BBC broadcasters receive any money from the TV licence?
"Money raised from the licence fee pays for BBC shows and services - including TV, radio, the BBC website, podcasts, iPlayer and apps."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

Jonathan

A great and valuable resourse to the nation IMO and well worth 45p a day! :)
Sounds like you have shares in BBC ?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 11:46am Hi,

A great and valuable resourse to the nation IMO and well worth 45p a day! :)
Sounds like you have shares in BBC ?
I do it cost me 45pence a day :wink:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Pay 90p then, and Mrs Mick F can have a free one. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall