TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Re: TV licensing...

Post by simonineaston »

I can't see a problem here. On any given day, the viewer is either covered under the terms of an annual licence, or they are not. It goes without saying that a prospective viewer will apply for a licence as soon as they are able, after first deciding to enjoy broadcast televisual entertainment.
In practice, the likelihood of being discovered watching, on a day, or days, that preceed the start of the year covered by the licence seem slim. Gaol only beckons if the naughty watcher is caught repeatedly watching-with-out-a-licence and the case goes to court and the naughty watcher fails to pay the resulting fine - a naughty watcher indeed!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a point of information, a tv licence is needed to have a telly installed ie plugged in
RickH

Post by RickH »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 6:07pm On a point of information, a tv licence is needed to have a telly installed ie plugged in
Not if it isn't connected to an aerial/dish. Maybe if it is connected via t'Internet.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
• watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
• download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 for colour TV, and £53.50 for black and white."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... _plt_check
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
This is the just of it -

You need a license to watch a program after it has been aired, on iPlayer only?

But if you watch a program after it's been aired on any other app you do not need a license?

If I am correct there this is the just of it isn't it, that the BBC wants you to buy a license simply to watch any of their programs at any time whether you use catch up or you download et cetera or record as it's being aired.
You can't watch TV BBC programmes without a license without breaking the law.

Irrespective of whether people think that BBC programs are quality or not we're paying to watch any Bbc program not Other channels, they're quite happy for you to watch them without paying?

I'me quite happy to scrap my BBC license tomorrow and never watch BBC again.
Unfortunately my other half is tied in to certain soaps which they want to carry on watching.

I wonder if the wording of the license and the necessity to own one would really stand up in court if lawyers started to put holes in the way it's been worded?

You don't need to be a brain scientist to realise that the BBC are now going overboard with advertising and promoting their programs telling us how wonderful they are and also how wonderful their presenters are like those presenters are like Saints............Not!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think that this is the relevant bit of current law on TV licences. (I've only quoted this bit to keep it manageable.)
363 Licence required for use of TV receiver

(1) A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part.

(2) A person who installs or uses a television receiver in contravention of subsection (1) is guilty of an offence.

(3) A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who—

(a) intends to install or use it in contravention of subsection (1), or

(b) knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection, is guilty of an offence.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/part/4

I take it that "installed" means plugged in, in the sense that if it was switched on it would work. ie If it's mains, plugged into the mains, if it has no internal aerial, with an aerial plugged in. I've no idea to what extent, if any, enforcement personnel are bound by PACE etc in relation to gathering evidence eg about intent. Later sections of this Act deal with the issue of warrants to enter premises. Again, I don't know anything current about "invitations" to enter.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 8:25pmI wonder if the wording of the license and the necessity to own one would really stand up in court if lawyers started to put holes in the way it's been worded?
It comes from an Act of Parliament:
https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/leg ... policy-AB9

Statute law is in general not justiciable. That's what "Parliamentary sovereignty" means.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I still haven't watched ANY live TV or watched ANYTHING on iPlayer for years.
I do admit though, that I watched HMQ on Christmas Day.

Meanwhile, our Smart TV is connected to the internet and connected to the telly aerial.
We watch Netflix, YouTube, recorded stuff via the USB, listen to the radio and can even display photographs.

I do not need or want a TVL.
Mrs Mick F is away at the moment, and before she went at the end of February as her TVL expired, she telephoned the TVL people and told them that she will not be renewing until May when she gets back. They were happy with that. She likes to watch stuff live or iPlayer ............ but only after I've gone to bed.

PS:
Mrs Mick F is in The Gambia doing charity work.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 7:49am I still haven't watched ANY live TV or watched ANYTHING on iPlayer for years.
I do admit though, that I watched HMQ on Christmas Day.

Meanwhile, our Smart TV is connected to the internet and connected to the telly aerial.
We watch Netflix, YouTube, recorded stuff via the USB, listen to the radio and can even display photographs.

I do not need or want a TVL.
Mrs Mick F is away at the moment, and before she went at the end of February as her TVL expired, she telephoned the TVL people and told them that she will not be renewing until May when she gets back. They were happy with that. She likes to watch stuff live or iPlayer ............ but only after I've gone to bed.

PS:
Mrs Mick F is in The Gambia doing charity work.
Strictly speaking, ought you not to disconnect the aerial while not on possession of a licence? I am under the impression that it is receiving TV through the aerial that requires a licence. Apart from BBC output, you can receive whatever you like over the internet without one.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 7:59amStrictly speaking, ought you not to disconnect the aerial while not on possession of a licence? I am under the impression that it is receiving TV through the aerial that requires a licence. Apart from BBC output, you can receive whatever you like over the internet without one.
Jdsk wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 7:22pm "The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
• watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
• download or watch any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.
You only need one TV Licence per household, even if you use more than one of the devices listed above. A TV Licence costs £159 for colour TV, and £53.50 for black and white."

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... _plt_check
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence
Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

All this discussion, attempting to make head or tail of regulations that seem to defy straight-forward interpretation only goes to show how out-of-date and unsuitable the current arrangments are!! A real hodge-podge and so overdue a sensible revision. The recent appointment of Michael Grade to head Ofcom may bear fruit... who knows!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Once you have found the regulations, the relevant bits seem pretty straightforward, as compared with our regulations more generally. (Not easy to find because they don't seem to be linked on a licence or the relevant website)

The biggy is that the BBC is stuck with a legacy funding system. We've been round the houses repeatedly on this thread and its predecessors and all that's happened with the passage of time is that it's become more of an anachronism. imo
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 9:51am All this discussion, attempting to make head or tail of regulations that seem to defy straight-forward interpretation only goes to show how out-of-date and unsuitable the current arrangments are!!
What's the problem? The rules are available for everyone to see because of the wonder of the Web: current version and free and linked above.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with thirdcrank's.
Last edited by Jdsk on 25 Mar 2022, 10:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 9:51amThe recent appointment of Michael Grade to head Ofcom may bear fruit... who knows!
It could have been a lot worse! And the government tried to make it so.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Once you have found the regulations, the relevant bits seem pretty straightforward,
I think so, you think so - but does everybody think so?!
S