TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 12:30pm
Psamathe wrote: 1 Nov 2021, 12:17pm Formal complaint submitted. They have 8 days to respond (in writing by post).

Ian
Mick F wrote: 1 Nov 2021, 3:04pm Brilliant.
Keep us informed please.
Bearing in mind that 8 weeks have passed, is there any news? (Request on behalf of Mick F)
They found themselves completely innocent and in the right. But accepted it was wrong and are passing the comment on to whoever.

More detail: they just state that they require an e-mail address when any actions are taken online so that they can send you a confirmation (even if you don't want one and don't need one as the web page gives you "successful" and a transaction number you can save).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for the update.

Email address?

BBC don't have our Email address, and I ain't giving them it either.
We us a fictitious eMail address to log on to BBC iPlayer or BBC radio. Think I mentioned this way up-thread.
Still never personally watched the telly ............ except for HM Queen on Christmas day afternoon. First time in YEARS.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 7 Jan 2022, 3:21pm Thanks for the update.

Email address?

BBC don't have our Email address, and I ain't giving them it either.
We us a fictitious eMail address to log on to BBC iPlayer or BBC radio. Think I mentioned this way up-thread.
Still never personally watched the telly ............ except for HM Queen on Christmas day afternoon. First time in YEARS.
A lot of web stuff / apps etc, may use for your / their convenience, an email address (or a form or emaill blog@joe.cop) as a user name.
Username or email address may be used in the username box.

I would have to go looking but you might find, you dont need an email to log on.
But possible that you need an email to register / authorise use on a device?

You could of course create an email and then delete it after you register :wink:
Attachments
2022-01-07_161006.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you delete it, you can't log in again if you quit the programme, so you'll have to re-register.

Try a non-registered one?
I invented that eMail address and tried a random password.
Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 11.28.18.png
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

So you've bought a TV licence, yet you've only watched the queen's speech! £159......how much do you waste on beer per week?
:|
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I haven't bought a TVL.
Mrs Mick F bought it.
TBH, if it was up to me, she wouldn't have wasted her money, and if anyone wants my advice, no-one should buy a TVL at all.
Completely unenforceable ................. and pointless in this day and age.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I was talking deleting just your email not any program / app?
Or are you saying that once the email address is defunct (deleted at isp) that iPlayer checks every time you use it?

Once logged on to app / tv app etc, there is no need to log on / off.

Yes scrap BBC license and save us a millions.

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/bbc-lice ... ts-1371762
"The BBC licence fee could be axed and replaced by a Government grant, with viewers paying a voluntary subscription for entertainment and sport, John Whittingdale has proposed."
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know how to delete your eMail log-in at the BBC end. It's on their database I would think, so you don't have access to it.

If you reset your browser history/cookies etc, you will have to log in again. Leave it all, and it's auto log-in.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 9:24am I don't know how to delete your eMail log-in at the BBC end. It's on their database I would think, so you don't have access to it.

If you reset your browser history/cookies etc, you will have to log in again. Leave it all, and it's auto log-in.
Delete the e-mail address at your end (i.e. kill the address) that way the "e-mail address" becomes nothing more than a string of characters.

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Personally, I don't see the point of bear-baiting (or attempting to baite the bear - it's not as if anyone who works for Capita gives a toot what we think or do...). It's not going to get the complainant anywhere - Capita will have got their lawyers onto the GDPR complience issue donks ago and will be fully conversant with what they can & can't do. That horse has long since trotted gaily off down the lane... and that other fall-back of the persistant moaner, "They shouldn't be allowed to get away with it!" I've file in the box marked Life's Waaay Too Short. If they want to send letters in red envelopes to 'The Legal Occupier' that entirely up to them. I couldn't give a fig. Far too busy listening to the excellent Sunday Morning on R3, while I get ready for a lovely cycle ride!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 11:20am
Mick F wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 9:24am I don't know how to delete your eMail log-in at the BBC end. It's on their database I would think, so you don't have access to it.

Delete the e-mail address at your end (i.e. kill the address) that way the "e-mail address" becomes nothing more than a string of characters.

Ian
Yes, of course.
If you want to listen to R4 online, you need to re-register. They ain't got a clue if the email address is "real" but they log it so when you re-log in, they verify your registered password.
There is no limit to the email addresses and passwords. You personally could have hundreds of them.
Re-register as many times as you want.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
But doesn't the system work on BBC, that you register and then they send you an email before you can actually log on for the first time?

That is to activate your account to log on to iPlayer you have to have received an email first?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yes that's correct. Can't see how you can use a fictitious email to log in to iplayer, then enter a code.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nope.
They do NOT send an Email.

Try it.
Go online to a BBC station having reset your browser history.
Try to press Play and you will get a window open where you can sign in and put in your Email address and password to log in ............... or you can select Register.

Invent an Email address and invent a password, and log in.
Just done it again.

Try it.
Invent an Email address and password, fill in the required fields with complete fiction, click it on, say No to being kept in touch, and off you go.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I think to register you have to be on a webpage not an app?

Are you sure that it's not just finding your email, An active one that you're surfing with?

We don't know but it's possible you have discovered a loophole.
Or
Their software is being use to track your ISP ID to your location.

If they know it's you and you have a license then it's very possible every time you return, there just auto signing you in.

On the sly, when you had no license did you try to make an attempt, let's say success or failure your method?