TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
sussex cyclist

Re: TV licensing...

Post by sussex cyclist »

Well, you'd probably have to start at the beginning.

Not a lot of bikespotting, just happened to get lucky somebody put that up on youtube. Breaking Bad fans might remember Gale's 'bent.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sussex cyclist wrote: 25 May 2022, 2:17pm Well, you'd probably have to start at the beginning.

Not a lot of bikespotting, just happened to get lucky somebody put that up on youtube. Breaking Bad fans might remember Gale's 'bent.
Sorry you've lost me,I haven't seen either of those programs.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I expect most people here haven’t seen them, or at least this. The creator Vince Gilligan is a genius. I only brought up Better Call Saul because it’s an example of something on Netflix which definitely isn’t dross. IMO of course!

Saul is less flashy than Breaking Bad, but an incredible character study, especially between brothers.
https://youtu.be/qJ6a-SCEA-o?t=107

As for the BBC, I gave up years ago. I have a lot of respect for what they were, and think they still do a lot of good work, but there are too many bloated salaries, and there's also much I dislike about them, which I'd rather not get into here.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Here's a Q. Was Breaking Bad training wheels for BCS? Or to put it another way, did those who've enjoyed BCS, have to sit through all of BB, in order to get the 'prequel'? :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Since the two fit together, I’m not sure about being able to ‘get’ BCS without watching BB, but I don’t think it’s necessary to have watched BB to enjoy and appreciate this. I agree with this guy.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As we're dealing in intials...
SC
Looking for entertainment we tried NF and came to the conclusion PDQ that the vast majority of the "entertainment" on there is crap,bad acting,bad transparent plots that were laughably bad.
As a result we disgarded it PDQ and couldn't be bothered wading through the dross to get to any kind of worthwhile viewing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peetee

Post by peetee »

My refusal to cooperate with the TV Stasi has clearly exhausted the resources at the Bath office (see previous posts). The mantle of ‘horsefly at the picnic’ is now taken up by the Guildford office - another 100 miles away.
Perhaps Bath closed for want of £159 towards the heating bill, but then again, perhaps not. Realistically, the amount of paper they have sent me over the last two years could have warmed their tootsies for a fair while.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Many people, inc the most recent post, imply that the efforts of TV LIcensing are stressful or annoying. I've always taken a straightforward attitude to the issue, ie if you watch, you pay. If you don't watch, don't pay. Blessedly simple in a modern world that can be more complex than we wish, at times. Any correspondance that plops onto the hall floor that doesn't have my name on it goes straight in the bin - hardly a taxing or stressful task.
If so-called TV licensing try hard to encourage households that, according to their records, don't pay, then I can't say as I blame them - it's their job to maximise revenue and a great many householders (for one reason and another) choose to avoid payment.
However, in the light of the current cost of living crisis, it is interesting to compare the cost of an annual TV licence to, say, the cost of a year's energy consumption - or even the value of the associated council tax rebate/s... the notion that households in straightened circumstances will have to choose carefully what they spend on energy, entertainment and the supermarket bill seems increasingly likely. I can guess which the first one to go might be.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonineaston wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:47am Many people, inc the most recent post, imply that the efforts of TV LIcensing are stressful or annoying. I've always taken a straightforward attitude to the issue, ie if you watch, you pay. If you don't watch, don't pay. Blessedly simple in a modern world that can be more complex than we wish, at times. Any correspondance that plops onto the hall floor that doesn't have my name on it goes straight in the bin - hardly a taxing or stressful task.
I think my last and previous posts show that I find the whole issue exasperating and humorous in equal measure. Exasperating insomuch as you can’t shake the b***ers off even when you play by their rules and amusing because, well, that’s the way I cope with things, generally speaking.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
simonineaston wrote: 26 May 2022, 11:47am if you watch, you pay. If you don't watch, don't pay.
BUT You Pay To Watch Any TV live.............which goes to the BBC coffers..and the bloated wages..only! :evil:

Welsh news reader.......Huw Edwards.
Depressed..........especially when he took a pay cut................. :?

"Salary
He earned £550,000 – £599,999 as a BBC presenter for several years. His salary was reduced voluntarily in light of gender pay differences found within the BBC.[34] Press Gazette announced his new salary to be £520,000 – £529,999 as of July 2018.[2] His salary was further reduced in 2019, with his current salary as of May 2021 reported to be £465,000.[35]"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61553142
You could also be depressed...........................and penniless.................how the other half live............ :roll:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I didn't say it was a great system... ! :lol:
S
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As far as I'm concerned, the many permutations that make up the phrase 'live TV' is actually not that straightfoward - it's no wonder that folk get confused. Where I think it starts to get really bonkers is that you're supposed to have a licence issued to your home address, when and if you watch live TV (or any telly via iPlayer) on devices like your phone / tablet, even tho' you might be sitting in a pub in Padstow or a tent near Ambleside !
Last edited by simonineaston on 30 May 2022, 10:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hence it's unenforceable.
Mobile phone on the bus/train/park you can watch anything and not pay a penny.
Watch at home on a device, and not pay a penny.
Undetectable and unenforceable.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 30 May 2022, 8:35pm Hence it's unenforceable.
Mobile phone on the bus/train/park you can watch anything and not pay a penny.
Watch at home on a device, and not pay a penny.
Undetectable and unenforceable.
They are actually MUCH more likely to be able to track you down (if they want to) if you watch on any sort of "device" rather than on a good old-fashioned TV. Watching live over-the-air transmissions on a TV is an entirely one-way process.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There's a whole can of worms there, of course 'cos although I guess it's possible for the service provider to view the internet traffic going to and from any ip address, (assuming there is no vpn) I don't know if its legal to monitor it or pass it on to a third party or indeed, how readily the data is translated into something useful. Even less so, for the example of the itinerant smart phone user, sitting in a bar.
S