Stronglight New Impact Triple...any good?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Stronglight New Impact Triple...any good?

Post by PH »

Maybe Vetus will come back and let us know how they got on in the eight years since they asked the question!
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

PH wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 11:12am Maybe Vetus will come back and let us know how they got on in the eight years since they asked the question!
It was a while ago and I have since sold the bike it was on but remember I didn't have any problems with it.
Beauty will save the world.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Bikes-trikes&hikes wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 6:57pm I got my impact triple stronglite a few years ago they are great to use from 7-9 speed but not sure if they fall under road or off road components really as used with 7 speed and a 9 speed off road XT/XTR Deore off road drive train but work pretty well. One major issue is the recommended 113 bottom bracket of stronglite maybe not long enough as I fitted the cranks to two bikes that hit the inside of the front mech no matter how it was adjusted it simply could not come any closer so I have the 115 bottom bracket from stronglite to bring the cranks out so as to clear this issue only time will tell if it works and hopefully it will not mess up chain line or alignment
Front mechs. from "Mountain Bike" groupsets expect the chain to be a couple of millimetres further out than "road"
for explanation of "chainline" see Sheldon Brown https://sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
For BB axle "stickout" see this in our own "too good to lose" viewtopic.php?t=105385

Or you can use an eccentric shim to get the F. mech. in a bit
531colin

Post by 531colin »

ANTONISH wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 8:48am I have two sets of the Stronglight and one set of the Spa.
The Spa set has slightly different dimensions andI would recommend the Stronglight although there is not much in it.
The possible range of gears on these chainsets is for me the main advantage.
The "Stronglight" and "Spa" chainsets are identical; made by Sugino, both are marked either XD2 or TD2 on the back of the R. crank
EDIT; I should have typed that the CRANKS are identical, made by Sugino, etc.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

531colin wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 7:02pm
ANTONISH wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 8:48am I have two sets of the Stronglight and one set of the Spa.
The Spa set has slightly different dimensions andI would recommend the Stronglight although there is not much in it.
The possible range of gears on these chainsets is for me the main advantage.
The "Stronglight" and "Spa" chainsets are identical; made by Sugino, both are marked either XD2 or TD2 on the back of the R. crank
EDIT; I should have typed that the CRANKS are identical, made by Sugino, etc.
I'm not too sure about what you are saying Colin.
The drive side Stronglight crank lays between two spider arms. All five of the 110 chainset bolts are visible from the front.
The Spa XD2 drive side crank arm is effectively one of the spider arms. Only four of the 110 chainset bolts are visible from the front.
I bought the Spa set with chainrings. One had a captive threaded insert ( needed because it can't be accessed from the front because the crank is in the way) which I had to remove when I wanted to change the chainring.
Other than that (if my memory serves there seemed to be a slight dimensional difference in that I used a slightly different BB length) .
Otherwise I think these are very good chainsets and I've been very happy with them.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

2 Sugino chainsets;
Sugino TD2 with 5 chainring bolts visible. Sold as Spa TD2
Sugino XD2 with 1 chainring bolt behind the crank. Sold as Spa XD2

Now I have been retired 10 years and I have lost the run of it a bit; I know that one or other of those 2 Sugino chainsets was originally sold by Stronglight as "Impact", and one was subsequently sold by Stronglight as "New Impact" ....so I am going to quote a previous post....

7 Aug 2014 where Andrew S says TD2 is New Impact and XD2 is original Impact

Hmmmm...I can't do an actual quote because I'm doing this as an edit....

Anyway, a TD2 chainset is a TD2 chainset, whether it was sold as "Spa" or "Stronglight" ....and an XD2 is an XD2, not a TD2