Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Pete Owens

Re: Removal of anti-cycling gates. How?

Post by Pete Owens »

Toffee wrote:
Pete Owens wrote:You'd need a bit more than a hacksaw for this one:
https://www.cyclestreets.net/location/87429/
One for those who think councils don't spend enough on cycling.

You have to just ask why?

Could this be the explanation?
http://www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk/facility-of-the-month/March2017.htm
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:You seem to have missed some of the barrier ;-)

There's been a development.
aframe.png

I don't know whether the removal is official or vandalism.

Edit: It's going to be replaced :| .
Last edited by gaz on 15 Mar 2017, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
deckertim

Post by deckertim »

Good news. I hope they do something similar in cyclopark soon

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my MotoG3 using hovercraft full of eels.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Indeed, seven of these in just under four miles between Thong Lane and Pepper Hill when it opened.
There are nine now although the pedestrian gates alongside the latest two are often left open.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Combined with the 'how much effort to stop/start' thread that's a good 900 yards added in four miles - more than ten percent extra
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

I haven't revisited this thread for some time, so thank-you to all the extra people who contributed.

I have made a modicum of progress, but now that there has been more work on removing inaccessible barriers and techniques for making it happen, I'm trying to be a little more systematic.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

Without reading the whole thread, are you able to actually get anti-cycle barriers removed by complaining? I use a trailer with my kids and am CONSTANTLY getting jammed in these little buggers. Fantasies of 3am visits with an angle grinder aside, if it's possible to get them legally removed, I would!!!
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

Lance Dopestrong wrote: 3 Jul 2015, 9:03pm We had one removed locally. Sure, it was keeping out the idiots on off road motorbikes, but was also keeping 2 local wheelchair users from a accessing the pathway, which is illegal. Complain along the lines of its restricting access by the disabled, which is a serious piece of illegal discrimination.
This is the answer, according to my son in London. He tells me many anti-cycling gates have been removed around the city by a determined campaigner on a wheelchair-handcycle combo. He deliberately sought out these barriers, attempted to pass, took photos, and then asked the local authority to remove the things on the grounds that they discriminated against people like him in a wheelchair cycle. Sadly, he has passed away.

Does anyone know who the privileged people are who benefit from such anti-discrimination legislation? Does it apply to a parent with children in a box bike (backfiets / babboe)? Maybe someone who uses a recumbent because of a back injury might qualify? Yes, I know these questions are ridiculous, but the law is an ass.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.