Punctures

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ukdodger

Re: Punctures

Post by ukdodger »

Brucey wrote:
ukdodger wrote:..... I run on 55-65lbs which is within Schwalbe's limits because I like a soft ride (though if you get any sidewall cracking Schwalbe will claim their limit is only a 'guide' and 55-65lbs is too soft to prevent it)....

this is another case of weaselry IMHO. Tyres that are underinflated typically suffer the consequences of the sidewall flexing excessively, which normally results in the casing failing in some way (including the wire bead failing in some types of tyre). But the sidewall is made of rubber, and should flex repeatedly without issue. Were it not so, you would see cracking on (say) rear tyres and not fronts; but you normally see cracking on both.

Schwalbe tyres have gone through a very bad patch where they suffer sidewall cracking even when they are not used at all. You can park the bike with clean tyres in a cool dark shed and come back and find the tyres perished. This is nothing to do with underinflation whatsoever; it is just substandard manufacturing of some kind.

Question: What is the measure of tyre suppleness? I once had a pair of tyres made but Hutchinson that were wonderfully comfortable to ride but werent 'soft'. They dont make them anymore but knowing what to look for would help. Thanks.

Obviously if you can obtain meaningful CRR data that will help, but do bear in mind that real roads are nothing like the rollers they usually use to measure such things. For ad-hoc techniques;

1) if you can see a pair on the rim, correctly inflated, flick them with the end of your finger. Listen to the noise; if it is a resonant noise then the tyre may roll a whole lot easier than a tyre where flicking it produces a dull thud instead.

2) If you are able to take a bare wheel with the tyre fitted, and simply drop it (on smooth concrete) so that it bounces up again, then look at how high the wheel bounces. You will need other wheels/tyres to compare, and you will have to practice nice straight drops. Good tyres will cause a bare wheel to bounce up to 60-70% or so, and it will likely sound resonant; bad tyres won't bounce so high and the noise will be duller.

3) Handle the carcass of the tyre. To a good approximation there are three things that create rolling resistance; a) the tread squishing vertically when loaded (so soft rubber and a heavy tread pattern count against you here), b) the bending properties of the tread (the circumference of the contact patch is flexed at any one time) and c) the stiffness of the sidewalls. Typically if you have a light racing tyre you can get all three to be good but any amount of puncture protection tends to add to b) at least. [It isn't clear to me which of a) b) c) is most important; it may vary with the tyre.]

If you look at easy rolling tyres they usually have a vertically firm tread that usually isn't very thick; this is built on a carcass that is made very supple by having very little rubber in it and lots of fine cords (high tpi). The reason high tpi works well is that you can make the sidewall (say) half as thick. If you do this (which might require four times as many threads in the same material, each half as thick, to get the same strength) then the bending strains in the sidewall (and therefore the hysteresis) is very greatly reduced; half as thick potentially means 1/8th the strain in the sidewall. [BTW That isn't a reduction of 1/8th, that is a reduction of 7/8...! It really can be a powerful effect!]

So I hope this helps, anyway. You clearly don't get owt for nowt here; if you insist on tough rubbery sidewalls, a heavy tread, and good puncture protection, you had better get used to the idea of relatively sluggish tyres.

BTW the marathon 'greenguard' tyres are quite clever because the puncture resistant layer is made in highly elastic rubber that cannot squirm excessively; this means that the CRR is nothing like as bad as it would be if you had a tread that was as thick as all the layers put together. It isn't a quick tyre like this, but it is nothing like as slow as it might be otherwise.

cheers

Thanks Brucey. That's all good to know.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

is that the shortest comment with the largest quote ever? :?:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I used a MTB Schwalbe Land Cruiser with puncture protection for a while, admittedly off road.
It afforded little protection against thorns.
Also the rubber was sub standard, one lock up on the rear wheel stripped the tread right off and exposed the protection strip :?
I ended up putting the old contis back on, which shows the same rash you would expect from a lock up, the rubber is scratched some what but the tread survived and the tyre has covered many miles.
I got the MTB schwalbe with a skip bike so it cost a mere £3 and was brand new too, I don't think I would ever buy one.

I also have two 700 schwalbe road cruisers with PP, we shall see how they measure up..........................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Also the rubber was sub standard, one lock up on the rear wheel stripped the tread right off and exposed the protection strip :?

I think maybe your definition of 'lock up' is a bit more adventurous than the rest of us, NA! :lol:
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got a pair of Land cruisers on my old MTB. It doesn't get high usage but the tyres have been on the bike since 2006/7 (apart from a bit of winter riding with Marathon Winters the last couple of years, although I think the Winters were only on for 2 rides last winter due to absence of ice & snow) with no ill effects & little wear. A pair of secondhand tyres on a "skip bike" which may well have been stored in, shall I say, less-than-ideal conditions (maybe in contact with oils or solvents) are not necessarily a good indication of general quality.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Rider and bike 96 - 100 kgs.
Done 5000 (Total miles) Miles on Rear 2000 off road This shows evidence of a lock up. Continental Travel Master, discontinued.
Done 5000 (Total miles) Miles on Rear 2000 off road This shows evidence of a lock up. Continental Travel Master, discontinued.

Done 5000 (Total) Miles on the Front, 2000 off road Continental Travel Master, discontinued.
Done 5000 (Total) Miles on the Front, 2000 off road Continental Travel Master, discontinued.

Done 200 Miles on Rear then one lock up ? Schwalbe Land Cruiser. Puncture strip can be seen ! NO contamination at all, like new. Plasticine.....
Done 200 Miles on Rear then one lock up ? Schwalbe Land Cruiser. Puncture strip can be seen ! NO contamination at all, like new. Plasticine.....
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
AF1

Post by AF1 »

@cyclop

Hi, my wife has been having a spate of Gorse Thorn (up to 1" long and extremely sharp) punctures in the New Forest. She had Kenda with K Guard plus slime.

In the past we have tried hard plastic liners as well, which stopped the punctures from thorns but chafed the tubes until failure!!

I have just received a pair of Marathon Plus but am dismayed that the protective layer appears very much thiner than the 5mm advertised (if its there at all) and a thumb tack penetrates very easily right through with hardly any pressue. They dont seem any better than the Kendas in this respect.

We are at our wits end.

Are there mousses, like the Trail Motorcycles use, available for Cycles or totally sponge 'inner tube replacements?
https://www.michelin.co.uk/motorbike/ti ... bib-mousse

Advice please
slowster

Post by slowster »

AF1 wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 1:57pm We are at our wits end.
What is the tyre width, what bike is she riding, and what routes is she riding?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

AF1 wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 1:57pm @cyclop

Hi, my wife has been having a spate of Gorse Thorn (up to 1" long and extremely sharp) punctures in the New Forest. She had Kenda with K Guard plus slime.

In the past we have tried hard plastic liners as well, which stopped the punctures from thorns but chafed the tubes until failure!!

I have just received a pair of Marathon Plus but am dismayed that the protective layer appears very much thiner than the 5mm advertised (if its there at all) and a thumb tack penetrates very easily right through with hardly any pressue. They dont seem any better than the Kendas in this respect.

We are at our wits end.

Are there mousses, like the Trail Motorcycles use, available for Cycles or totally sponge 'inner tube replacements?

Advice please
You're starting to sound like solid tyres are the answer for gorse season.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Thorns? Tubeless.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

"I always put a 25mm square of old tube(with a hole in the centre)over the valve,snug up to the tube as it protects the valve base"

My grandad taught me to do that when I was a small boy in the 60s
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jules59 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 2:47am "I always put a 25mm square of old tube(with a hole in the centre)over the valve,snug up to the tube as it protects the valve base"

My grandad taught me to do that when I was a small boy in the 60s
but punctures there are incredibly rare aren't they?
I can only remember one in countless years.
(tho the POSSIBILITY OF IT - unrepairable - is one of the reasons I always carry TWO tubes)
Sweep
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

AF1 wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 1:57pm @cyclop

We are at our wits end.

Advice please
Google ‘Thorn proof inner tubes’ ……as thick as an Elephants bottom!
offroader

Post by offroader »

I expect a puncture every 4 or 5 weeks in the forest. If the thorns don't get you the flint Smurf arrows will.

It's the nature of the beast riding slickish tyres in a hostile environment.
Proper knobbly MTB style tyres mostly cure the problem at the expense of increased effort/decreased speed.
I've tinkered with running tubeless and goo filled tubes but my experience has been sub optimal. It does greatly reduce punctures but at the expense of tire life . Since you don't immediately get a puncture a flint arrowhead is free to slice it's way through the tyre carcass until it causes enough structural damage that it overwhelms the sealant. At that point the tyre is often done for

If you found a solution with the plastic liners then I'd suggest once you've put them in the tyre then cover them with gaffer tape or similar. That should feather the hard edges and prevent chafing of the tube
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jules59 wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 2:47am "I always put a 25mm square of old tube(with a hole in the centre)over the valve,snug up to the tube as it protects the valve base"
Inner tube rubber is just more of the same material that's already failing. The leather washers I made 22 years ago have developed a high polish, and are showing no signs of wear at all.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche