Punctures

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
reohn2

Punctures

Post by reohn2 »

People get more concerned about them in winter,which is understandable as there's no fun changing tubes in the cold and wet.
The vast majority of my punctures(which are usually two to three a year,one this year,a 15mm thorn which I only found when checking the tyres a couple of days later still embedded with tyre still at pressure )are thorns,with a very occasional glass shard and even less being sharp stones,with an even less minority of other assorted 'intrusions'
I'm aware tht some folks in different areas of the country suffer from flint flake or arrowhead flint punctures,I've no experience of these.
Thorns on the road are caused by hedge cutting/flaying,which can strew the road with them still attached to small 1 to 2inch bits of twig perfect for bicycle tyre insertion but at least you have a chance of seeing them.
But some also remain on top of the cut/flayed hedge for weeks until the next windy day when they can get blown onto the road,you maybe caught out by the odd one you've not noticed,so it pays to be vigilant on windy days :!: .
Glass isn't as easy spot but unless larger pieces of say a broken bottle are evident,the smaller shards are almost impossible to see on an otherwise clear road until you're practically on top of them.
The only time I've had sharp stone punctures have been on wet roads,so I'm inclined to think a wet tyre helps the penetration I'm also inclined to think that the stone needs to be dead centre on the tread as the only ones I've experienced(two that I can remember)have fitted that criteria :?

Puncture prevention is desirable and various manufacturers claim varying materials,mainly Kevlar belts or thick rubber like layers under the tread,but if the potential puncture cause is sharp enough and long enough it'll get through.
So prevention for me is best served by good riding technique,I don't ride in the margins of gravel heaps on tarmac.
If a road looks suspect I tend to scan it in front riding around anything that looks suspicious.
If I'm forced to ride a road where the hedges are being cut I always check tyres when the hazard is passed.
I check tyres regularly for foreign bodies no matter how small,picking them out with a scriber made from a small screwdriver or a sharpened nail.If there's some small stone or glass shard,thorn,etc it will only be rolled further in if it's not picked out so regular checks are made.
Occasionally I deflate the tyre so the tread can be rolled/squeezed across it's tread opening up any cuts to reveal if there's anything in them,I wear a pair of cheap x4 reading glasses for tyre checking,it's amazing what they show up :shock:
I don't run tyres down to the canvass,if they're looking old a bit thin of tread and cut up,I bin them.
I've just binned a pair of old Marathon Slicks which I only run in winter,because although the tread was reasonable there were signs of rusting on sections of the wire beads,not worth the risk.
I've tried a few different methods of glueing cuts in tyres,super glues(various)including the flexible ones,Shoe Goo,Polyurethane boat glue,etc,nothing seems to last more than a couple of rides.
If anyone's had any better success let us know.
I don't mind patching tubes as if done properly are just as good as the original tube.
I always put a 25mm square of old tube(with a hole in the centre)over the valve,snug up to the tube as it protects the valve base.Also I soften the edges of the valve hole on the inside of the rim with a bit emery paper wrapped around a pencil,which also helps.Also make sure the valve is square to the rim as if it's at an angle it put pressure on one side of the valve base which can lead to a tear.
I check tyre pressures before I ride,if you ride narrow HP tyres it helps to lower the TP's a bit in the wet and cold,they'll grip better if nothing else.
There's few people on the forum asking about 'puncture proof' tyres.Other than solid tyres there aren't any,only degrees of puncture 'resistance' and the more puncture resistant a tyre the more uncomfortable the ride,because puncture resistance is directly related to tread thickness,tread thickness=less supple=heavier=stodgier the ride.
If anyone can think of anything else to add please do.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
robc02

Re: Punctures

Post by robc02 »

All sound advice. I don't suffer too many punctures so would always opt for tyres with relatively little additional puncture resistance and get the resulting comfort and performance benefits. The heaviest duty tyres I normally use are Continental GP4S or Gatorskins (28mm) - these are my usual winter tyres.

Thorns normally cause a puncture almost immediately, so inspection rarely helps, but I have found the odd piece of glass or stone by occasionally checking the tyre tread. - In truth I don't do this often enough and suffer the consequences now and then.

Pinch punctures are worth a mention. I have only suffered a very few in several decades - but two have been in the last 12 months! Both were a consequence of hitting a deep, sharp edged, pothole - one submerged (I couldn't easily avoid the puddle as I was riding alongside someone else at the time) the other invisible until it was too late because it was dark and I was watching for approaching traffic near a junction. The two incidents also damaged three rims to the point where they needed replacing, though were still rideable for a while. Larger tyres might well have avoided all of this.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think that I have suffered more punctures in the last few months than I have in the last five years.
I can only add to that (I do inspect and remove matter and glue tyre holes no matter how small, every ride this year, the terrain I do is evil) I use a brand supaglue, which will leave a crystal like residue next inspection (don't mistake this for a stone / grit as it looks the same but does not move when prodded next inspection) but seems to last well, I might even re-glue same hole months later, but is instant (40 - 50 seconds ).

Puncture proof tyres are to me a joke, better a better quality tyre, I swear by Conti's on road and off (mtb semi knobbly)

As in all take care when fitting tubes, a while a go I had three blow outs in the kitchen :( :? and found some sharp edges on the rim at the very outer edge, why I did not spot I do not know, caught when placing tyre and tube (tube already in tyre) on rim.

Valves yes its funny I just started to place a piece of old tube with hole over the valve base :wink:

On bike tool kit -
Levers of course.
Work gloves, plastic covered woven but palm only, thin type (20 grams so light :wink: )
Rag.
Glasses even if you think you don't need them, 3 X magnification, pound shop etc.
Head torch, cheapy so hands free.
Slightly blunted 3 MM bladed screw driver / sharp point, to dig out stuff.
Supaglue / other. holes/ splits.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Some excellent tips there.

Around here the roads are absolutely covered in tiny flints. The fields are packed with huge ones. Lorries and big cars crush the verges and roadside debris while passing on narrow roads and scatter flint laden debris into the road mixed up with mud. The hedges get flailed too so there is plenty of blackthorn and hawthorn debris. On every ride you pick up dozens of small flints in your tyres. especially the smaller ones that embed themselves in the tread. You have to listen for the regular tick all the time. This year I am riding on Panaracer Pasela TGs but have only one incidence.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Andy61

Post by Andy61 »

Punctures are just one of those things that all cyclists have to cope with from time to time. All of the advice above seems sound and I'd like to add another way to reduce the number of punctures. I ride in southern Hampshire most of the time and flint shards are a problem and often the cause of punctures. As mentioned above they are more frequent in wet weather. This is for two reasons: firstly they get washed out onto the roads from the adjacent fields and, secondly they stick to the tyres when they are wet. Flints rarely puncture a tyre immediately, but stick to the tyres and over the course of a number of rotations of the wheel (I don't know how many) they work their way into the tyre and cause a puncture. Inspection of tyres can help, and this needs to be a close inspection as already commented, flicking/digging out any embedded flints.
The way that flints cause punctures brings me to the prevention (reduction) method. I fit a device called a flint catcher to both the front and rear of the bike to catch (flick off) the flints before they embed themselves into the tyre over the course of a few revolutions of the wheel. A Google search for "flint catcher" and search for images will show plenty of examples. I make my own using an electrical lug connector and 2.5mm cross section household copper wiring, the flat twin and earth stuff. I strip off the insulation from the wire and solder this into the lug fitting having first fashioned it into the appropriate shape to run just clear of the tyre when fitted. The front one is fitted using the front brake bolt through the fork and the rear is fitted using the screw that holds the gear cable guide fitting beneath the bottom bracket. I have found that since fitting them (many years ago) I have had fewer punctures than the other riders in my groups. I tend to use Conti GP 4 Season tyres (23mm in summer, 25mm in winter) all year round as these seem to give a bit more puncture resistance than others I have used.
My description may not paint a full picture so if anyone would like photo posted let me know.
I'd be interested if anyone else uses flint catchers. I think I have only seen one other in the last 4 or 5 years, riding about 5000 miles a year, so they really are not at all common. In fact, when people see them they always ask what it is for.
Anything to reduce the number of punctures has to be worthwhile.
Oh, and talking about punctures when out riding will almost guarantee you'll get one in the next few miles! So never mention the "P" word when out on a ride.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:I've tried a few different methods of glueing cuts in tyres,super glues(various)including the flexible ones,Shoe Goo,Polyurethane boat glue,etc,nothing seems to last more than a couple of rides.
If anyone's had any better success let us know.

Ah I was wondering about how to repair gashes and if shoegoo would do the job. thanks for the dont bother! Maybe other people have ideas on this topic?
jb

Post by jb »

Punctures are a thing of the past with modern tyres, Unless I deliberately ride over a barb wire fence I fully expect never to get another one , ever.
:twisted:
Cheers
J Bro
beardy

Post by beardy »

It makes a hell of a noise as it runs between your tyre and mudguard but it just doesnt want to let go of the tyre once it has it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
jb wrote:Punctures are a thing of the past with modern tyres, Unless I deliberately ride over a barb wire fence I fully expect never to get another one , ever.

Dream On.....................................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

jb wrote:Punctures are a thing of the past with modern tyres, Unless I deliberately ride over a barb wire fence I fully expect never to get another one , ever.

some one already celebrating xmas? :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oh dear :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jb

Post by jb »

I may remember that comment as I cycle towards my Christmas dinner tomorrow.
Cheers
J Bro
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Another trick is to line up the valve with the start of the name on the tyre.
That way when you do puncture, from the hole in the inner tube you will then know roughly where to check on the tyre for the cause.
It does help when it's cold and wet.

I roughly average one puncture every couple of thousand miles.
But using 5 tyres at once, my probability of one is higher than normal.
But my loading per tyre is lower than normal, so that helps.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Andy61 wrote: I fit a device called a flint catcher to both the front and rear of the bike to catch (flick off) the flints before they embed themselves into the tyre over the course of a few revolutions of the wheel. A Google search for "flint catcher" and search for images will show plenty of examples. I make my own ...

Please post some photos - thanks.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

some flint catchers (from classic lightweights)

these work best with tyres that are perfectly round and have little or no tread.

They do work, but, wherever they are placed, they seem to throw all the dislodged winter road crud over both bike and rider.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~