Riding for 24 hours

Talk about events & rides. Find companions for your ride.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Riding for 24 hours

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 28 Apr 2015, 7:48pm

Hi,
Cant remember all the blog but was there a time when you were hungry and cold :?:
Carrying a good reserve of food with you on bike would fill the holes between the café stops.
on my 24 hr rides I carry all my food and start eating after 1/2 an hour and still have to stop and top up as I cant eat enough on bike.
Your body only carries up too 3 hours in the blood and liver at a pace so topping up all the time is prudent.

Good luck with future rides.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 29 Apr 2015, 10:13am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Cant remember all the blog but was there a time when you were hungry and cold :?:
Carrying a good reserve of food with you on bike would fill the holes between the café stops.
on my 24 hr rides I carry all my food and start eating after 1/2 an hour and still have to stop and top up as I cant eat enough on bike.
Your body only carries up too 3 hours in the blood and liver at a pace so topping up all the time is prudent.

Good luck with future rides.

Hi, the only time I felt cold was while waiting in Gordano services for my bike to be collected. There was renovation work going on, and no heating, so it was cold and loud, so a fairly uncomfortable environment. Other than that I was comfortable for the majority of the ride - from what I can remember. I think I got my kit pretty much right.

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 18 Jun 2015, 8:35am

Just wanted to say a quick "thank you" to everyone who has been reading the blog and/or commented on this feed. I really appreciate it.

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 12 Aug 2015, 11:09am

Not strictly (or at all) to do with the 24hrs ride, but I did a semi organised night ride around and over Dartmoor (think shorter, hillier Dunwich Dynamo). It was a great ride and would really recommend it. I also wrote a blog post about it:

Hard Day's Night - http://wp.me/p4NbsO-3R

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 5 Sep 2015, 9:51pm

Gone on a bit of a tangent, but I hope you still enjoy. I do however think there might be a rule against it:

https://bontride.wordpress.com/2015/09/ ... eview=true

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Sep 2015, 11:14pm

Hi,
Bad news is running starts at and above 8 MPH.
Good news is that muscles repair in five days.
Suggest tendonitis, you need to do calf stretches as physio (physiotherapy) not on the park bench before a run..........does nowt but vanity.

If you are indeed 25 % + bmi then running will be extra hard.
Good news is that age is on your side.

Weight is best tackled by diet alone, exercise for well being and a goal etc.
Cut out the junk and start cooking yourself?

Good luck.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 20 Sep 2015, 8:40pm

Bad news is running starts at and above 8 MPH.
Good news is that muscles repair in five days.
Suggest tendonitis, you need to do calf stretches as physio (physiotherapy) not on the park bench before a run..........does nowt but vanity.

If you are indeed 25 % + bmi then running will be extra hard.
Good news is that age is on your side.

Weight is best tackled by diet alone, exercise for well being and a goal etc.
Cut out the junk and start cooking yourself?

Good luck.

Genuine question, where did you get the 8 mph from? It seems a bit of a broad generalisation when other factors like terrain etc aren't taken into account.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Sep 2015, 10:20pm

Hi,
Yeh I might be flippant at 8mph :)
Terrain yes I remember Orienteering in my youth, 2.5 hours to do 8.5 miles :(
Weight and age are the biggest drawbacks here, mine the age and part weight :(
Getting above 8mph for an hour requires some hard work talking from experience and remember in running you are air born for part of the time, good luck with running, I might even try to get back to it myself but last try it was just 30 minutes long.

loch eck steve

Postby loch eck steve » 21 Oct 2015, 11:10pm

friend of mine did a 24 hour time trial , he said the worst things were getting a stiff neck with constantly watching the road and saddle soreness !! good luck hope all goes well.

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 22 Oct 2015, 9:55am

loch eck steve wrote:friend of mine did a 24 hour time trial , he said the worst things were getting a stiff neck with constantly watching the road and saddle soreness !! good luck hope all goes well.

Cheers Steve.

I actually did it in March, and surprisingly it was my arms that hurt the next day, particularly my left tricep (which I think was because I moved my sti slightly a few days before hand).

Would definitely do it again, but maybe in the summer next time

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 24 Oct 2015, 1:38pm

Well my first venture in to the world of marathons finished on Sunday:

http://wp.me/p4NbsO-4l

Time to see if I can still ride a bike further than 35 miles

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Oct 2015, 4:25pm

Hi,
Well done , a lot of us here would be happy with that, I would for sure.
Make me think of taking it up again, as I promised to myself I would.

rossidevon

Postby rossidevon » 8 Nov 2015, 9:56pm

Well done , a lot of us here would be happy with that, I would for sure.
Make me think of taking it up again, as I promised to myself I would.

Cheers, I think what annoyed me is I know where I wasted the 16 seconds. Gives me an excuse to do another one.

Have you started up again?

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 8 Nov 2015, 10:24pm

Hi,
Yes.
Started two weeks ago on the running machine, as part of my training for back and hamstring workout.
Actually a programmed course of 2.5 miles at 4.5 mph peak with 10% gradient thrown in, walking all the way :)
Up to 1h 30 at 6mph peak with a 10% gradient with no stiffness, which I did had after a measerly 7 mile moors hike with the missus :?
Spent too many years as an armchair critic, pawing over local press results.
I was never a runner but in my prime 34 years ago (23 a nobody cyclist) with no previous even at school after 7 months training ran the first 15 miles in 1h 25.

I might be dreaming like my cycling today but it will I hope keep me fit over the winter.

DaveGos

Postby DaveGos » 8 Nov 2015, 11:41pm

I never find lack of sleep an issue on 24 hours , but caffeine tablets are worth carrying just in case , the ones from the pound shops are a lot better value than proplus. I personally use half and half pedals (one side old fashion pedal , one side cleat) with SPDs for big distances as you can take the foot out of the cleet if your feet need some relief.

I hate gels ,personally I would have one water bottle with full fat coke (flat) its a great and very cheap energy drink, and also have a means such as one of those little tribags that go on the top tube for taking food as you go along such as jelly babies (Aldis are cheap) a little and often works for me , for energy replacement . You may then get away with a single eating stop

Long distance riding is often as much about not getting contact point issues and other aches and pains , as much as the fitness issue, for that reason I would do at least one very long training ride