Measuring Blood Pressure

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Measuring Blood Pressure

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Use you home unit and record a week before you visit GP then take that in, they will be happy.
............ but they would doubt it's accuracy.

MikewsMITH2 wrote:That is a bit puzzling 160/100 is quite high but 113/77 is low. I just spoke to my nurse and she thought it "unlikely that those 2 readings would be from the same person".
Exactly!

There are many times that if I get up out of a chair quickly, I get a bit dizzy. This seems at odds with high BP.
Also, I've been on three different BP meds, now on my fourth. The last three made me ill, and I have no faith in this newest lot. I do honestly wonder that the BP meds are upsetting me because I don't have high BP at all. There's no reason I should have high BP in the first place!

Hence, my sceptisism of my BP readings at the surgery.

I've decided to go to the surgery and stick my left arm in their DIY machine whilst having my home unit strapped to my right arm and do "a sychronised start". :lol: Hopefully, the two readings should be (within reason) the same.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As long as your diy unit is branded like Omron / pharmacy sponsored etc and is a arm not wrist, they are what your GP uses, why the doubt :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

You won't necessarily get the same reading on both arms. The proper solution is to get the doc to issue with a machine that that you wear and checks your BP throughout the day for a few days.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
MikewsMITH2 wrote:You won't necessarily get the same reading on both arms. The proper solution is to get the doc to issue with a machine that that you wear and checks your BP throughout the day for a few days.

OK but even for Mick F he does not need that much monitoring, just to record at same time resting in the evening not straight after food / drink or even a visit to the closet.................its not rocket science.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sease.html

Interesting piece I never knew that!
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

There are many times that if I get up out of a chair quickly, I get a bit dizzy
Sounds like Bradycardia and nothing to do with BP. I suffer really bad especially after long rides or a glass of alcohol and I'm guaranteed to be leaning on the table within two steps of getting up out if the chair. If I get that far :D
It's low heart rate because your fit. I've just checked mine now, sitting here at lunchtime, mine is 44. 3 ml walk this morning and a few jobs in the garden but because I've been sat for 15 mins my hr drops right back to my resting hr.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sat outside on the patio earlier.
My machine said 121 over 88 with HR of 60bpm.

It was bought from Lidl's and made by Sanitas.
http://www.manualslib.com/products/Sani ... 99615.html

Off out shopping soon, and when we get back, I'll be going into the health centre.
I don't expect the readings to be the same in both arms, but if my BP is 160 over 100 at the doctor's and 117 over 77 at home, it means one of two things:
1. My machine is crap.
2. I suffer from White Coat Syndrome.

As I say, I don't expect them to be the same, but I do expect that they'll be within 10% or so. I'll do the test two or three times and swap arms.

If the results are not within 10% or so, #1 is the reason.

Back later this afternoon. Can't go out yet, the Archers will be on at 2pm. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Archers! Aaaargh! :lol:

Take your machine with you to the surgery… and do a simultaneous reading, one on one arm, one on the other.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Just to add a further complication: when you take your readings, make sure you always do it with your arm at the same level (eg, resting on a table). Even raising or lowering your chair in relation to your arm can give you a significantly different result.

If you really want to get stuck into the subject of variability in blood pressure measurement, here's a link: http://bmcmedresmethodol.biomedcentral. ... 015-0020-3 The first table in the article is particularly informative.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for carrying on reading here, and thank you Pete for the interesting and informative table.

Didn't manage to get to the health centre yesterday, but went this morning.
Surprising results?
Not to me anyway, but maybe surprising to others. I reckon (like I've always thought) that I don't have a BP problem.
Remember, it was said by Mike, that it is a bit puzzling 160/100 is quite high but 113/77 is low. I just spoke to my nurse and she thought it "unlikely that those 2 readings would be from the same person".

Here's my evidence .......................
I sat down for a few minutes and arranged my own strap onto my right arm and put the unit itself on the top of the health centre's machine and inserted my left arm. I made sure both my arms were relaxed and at the same height.

I pressed both buttons with my right hand one straight after the other.
After the readouts, I made notes, then swapped over left for right and repeated the test.

Test One:
Health Centre Left = 164/96
My Device Right = 150/89

Test Two:
Health Centre Right = 163/121
My Device Left = 151/102

Getting back home and sitting down:
My Device Left = 118/82
No doubt if I chilled out some more, it would be even lower.

As far as I'm concerned, my case is closed with respect to BP medication.
I'm going to make an appointment with the doc to discuss the options. Seems like I have a stress issue ............ as I've known for years.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Well done Mick. Your experiments are famous! Glad you are ok. Best de-stresser is doing what you love. I see JMW Turner painted Gunnislake, looks beautiful.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Well done Mick. Your experiments are famous! Glad you are ok. Best de-stresser is doing what you love. I see JMW Turner painted Gunnislake, looks beautiful.
My wife says I'm obsessive .................. :lol:

Turner's Crossing the Brook.
https://public.bn1.livefilestore.com/y3 ... =148566101
Turner sat and painted on the Devon side a bit upriver from New Bridge.
It's a bit stylised and romantic, but he's got the skyline spot on. If you zoom in, you'll see a large building just across the bridge. That was the old alms house, since gone.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That painting is one of Turners earlier works and closely resembles a 'Claude'. Every painter of his era was doing Claude like paintings, the way they do trees and have romantic subjects is often the clue. I wonder what it looks like now from that place? A lot of his later pictures featured developments from the industrial revolution.

Al
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Talk about thread drift! :lol:

The actual place doesn't, and never existed specifically. It's a work of art, not a photograph, though some details are correct.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/devon/hi/pe ... 364221.stm
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Fair enough but its more interesting that blood pressure :D

Al