Measuring Blood Pressure

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Measuring Blood Pressure

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote: 11 Nov 2022, 8:08pm LOL here with respect to all this.

Had a series of experiments.
174 over 127
115 over 47
139 over 78
131 over 78
142 over 75

All done in the last few minutes.
Need I go on? :D

IMHO, it's all a load of rubbish.
One of them was standing up, and one of them was when my arm was below my hips.
Another one was when my arm was held up at chest hight.
Pick which one is correct.
Don't do it more than twice a day.........don't do repeated testing.........!!!!!

You are just distorting whats really going on with your'e BP.

Dont run around.........................jump up and down / walk the dog go to the little boys room etc etc etc!!!!

Plenty of stories of those giving up........moaning........side effect etc etc etc........!

They end up dead.........and every one talks about them down the pub or out with the cycling club.

I have suffered chonic side effects on BP meds for last 6 years..................if I give up meds or give up cycling because of the side effects...my health will suffer, because of other conditions I have.

Toss a coin.................carry on going down the pup and taking the meds and keep up cycling or................stop taking meds carry on as usual and you will be the topic, here and down the pub........well more than you are already :mrgreen:

You will not get your wish Mick!
They will turf you out the coffin and fight for the wood to put in the boiler :lol: :lol: :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

I'm taking my BP to show what an absolute can of worms it is.
Mine is up and down all day, even if just sitting in my armchair.

This morning, I was 125 over 60.

If I were to take my BP twice - AM and PM - it could well be possible that those snapshots would be high and it would look like I have high BP all the time ............. which is patently not true.

The only way to do it, is to monitor 24/7 ............ but it has to be unobtrusive and silent.
There must be a high-tech way of monitoring it passively without any compression. If there isn't, there should be.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

MickF

It's well-known that the process of going to a health establishment for a blood pressure measurement can itself raise the BP (White coat syndrome?) In my own case, knowing how it should be done correctly when it's done incorrectly just aggravates things.

When I was diagnosed with angina - now a long time ago - I bought myself a BP gadget and eventually realised I was achieving a DIY version of white coat syndrome so I packed that in. You seem to be in the same position but possibly a lot worse. Repeatedly/ frequently checking your BP and agonising about your readings seems like a self-reinforcing downward spiral. The word "fixation" may be appropriate.

I hope the imminent return of Mrs MickF may help you deal with this
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Just my twopenny worth, but my BP is very variable, it's affected very much by warm weather. And this actually makes me feel quite ill. I've been to my GP and he says that temporary fluctuations in BP because of extremes of weather are nothing to worry about.

Generally I'm 130/120 over 80. But in hot weather this can shoot up to 190/ 120. It's short lived and it recedes very quickly when the temperature comes back to normal. This summer of course was especially bad. I look forward to accurate wrist mounted BP Smart watches, but this still seems quite far off.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

As someone who has been on some kind of BP meds for over 20 years Can I just add some comments. When i was first diagnosed with
hypertension the first I knew about it was that I developed a blind spot in one eye. My BP at that time was around 210/110 and until that time I had no other symptoms. I was overweight, had a stressful job, probably drank more than was good for me, all familiar things to many people, no doubt.

I was put on a fairly aggressive course of treatment by my GP. I foresaw myself being dead or disabled in a short time, doomed to keep taking medication for whatever was left of my life. It was a very grim time for me. I carried on working, had regular reviews at the opthalmology clinic, and gradually things improved. The BP meds initially made me feel quite dizzy at times, especially when standing after bending over or sitting, and I felt quite tired all the time. The diuretic made me have to plan carefully when I went out as I couldn't stray far from a toilet.

Over a period of time the blind spot disappeared. I was advised that I had been lucky, as it is common to occur in both eyes, and can become a permanent loss of vision. After 18 months I was told that it had totally healed. The initial dizziness from my medication faded, and with different medication over the years I no longer needed a diuretic. It has been my experience that if you persevere with medication, initial side effects do diminish. Compared with the alternative, it's worth persevering.

In measuring BP, consistency is the thing. Many people suffer from "white coat syndrome" at clinics and the advent of machines that allow you to self test at home has been helpful for this. It has been a mixed blessing though, as unless you use a reliable accredited machine you can't rely on the results. Preferably using the upper arm, the same arm each time, and using a cuff that fits you well within the range marked on it. If you have an unusually large or small arm it may need to be specially ordered.

As for taking the BP measurement, it is no earthly use being inconsistent. Sit down, back supported, both feet flat on the floor, arm straight and supported. Maybe you feel comfortable with variations on this, if so stick to the variation each time. Don't cross your arms or legs. You are trying to compare like with like. Loosen your belt if necessary, maybe take your watch off. Don't drink alcohol or caffeine loaded drinks beforehand or do it after exercise. Stick to the same time of day or as advised by your GP. It is all just what used to be common sense which in reality is not that common.

For all the theories about Big Pharma and doctors being in their thrall, I can only give my experience. That is without the medication I would most likely have been dead long ago, or worse, have lost my independence through disability or dementia. People can learn to live with disability, and many do, but to lose your independence, for me, is the worst thing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

a.twiddler wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:42am As someone who has been on some kind of BP meds for over 20 years Can I just add some comments. When i was first diagnosed with
hypertension the first I knew about it was that I developed a blind spot in one eye. My BP at that time was around 210/110 and until that time I had no other symptoms. I was overweight, had a stressful job, probably drank more than was good for me, all familiar things to many people, no doubt.

I was put on a fairly aggressive course of treatment by my GP. I foresaw myself being dead or disabled in a short time, doomed to keep taking medication for whatever was left of my life. It was a very grim time for me. I carried on working, had regular reviews at the opthalmology clinic, and gradually things improved. The BP meds initially made me feel quite dizzy at times, especially when standing after bending over or sitting, and I felt quite tired all the time. The diuretic made me have to plan carefully when I went out as I couldn't stray far from a toilet.

Over a period of time the blind spot disappeared. I was advised that I had been lucky, as it is common to occur in both eyes, and can become a permanent loss of vision. After 18 months I was told that it had totally healed. The initial dizziness from my medication faded, and with different medication over the years I no longer needed a diuretic. It has been my experience that if you persevere with medication, initial side effects do diminish. Compared with the alternative, it's worth persevering.

In measuring BP, consistency is the thing. Many people suffer from "white coat syndrome" at clinics and the advent of machines that allow you to self test at home has been helpful for this. It has been a mixed blessing though, as unless you use a reliable accredited machine you can't rely on the results. Preferably using the upper arm, the same arm each time, and using a cuff that fits you well within the range marked on it. If you have an unusually large or small arm it may need to be specially ordered.

As for taking the BP measurement, it is no earthly use being inconsistent. Sit down, back supported, both feet flat on the floor, arm straight and supported. Maybe you feel comfortable with variations on this, if so stick to the variation each time. Don't cross your arms or legs. You are trying to compare like with like. Loosen your belt if necessary, maybe take your watch off. Don't drink alcohol or caffeine loaded drinks beforehand or do it after exercise. Stick to the same time of day or as advised by your GP. It is all just what used to be common sense which in reality is not that common.

For all the theories about Big Pharma and doctors being in their thrall, I can only give my experience. That is without the medication I would most likely have been dead long ago, or worse, have lost my independence through disability or dementia. People can learn to live with disability, and many do, but to lose your independence, for me, is the worst thing.
MickF

While I'm dishing out the unsolicited medical advice, alcohol must be the big thing here. The fact that you have reached (almost?) 70 while supping substantial daily amounts of sherbet - and discussing the subject with bravado - doesn't mean it won't eventually catch up with you.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
thirdcrank wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 12:06pm
a.twiddler wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:42am As someone who has been on some kind of BP meds for over 20 years Can I just add some comments. When i was first diagnosed with

MickF

While I'm dishing out the unsolicited medical advice, alcohol must be the big thing here. The fact that you have reached (almost?) 70 while supping substantial daily amounts of sherbet - and discussing the subject with bravado - doesn't mean it won't eventually catch up with you.
Reality!
Heed the advice :P
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I recently had to measure my BP for a week morning and evening. Each time I took three measures alternating between arms using an Omron meter from the GP.

I was expecting quite big differences as I know mine goes up when stressed, or indeed in with the GP. However, over 42 measurements the standard deviation was only 5.9 on the big number and 4.2 on the small one. There was no statistical difference between morning and evening which also surprised me, nor was there any relationship between diet, alcohol or exercise. The range of values was of course bigger that the SD but less than I might have anticipated.

The large fluctuations reported on the thread sound either dodgy equipment or something to report to the GP.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

My GP gives most patients with BP problems an accurate monitor to take home which records over a 24hr period, I don't know if this is a novel device or is been around for a while. Solve a lot of 'white coat' problems though .
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Wrist devices are not particularly very clever.
Upper arm ones or advised.
You don't need to spend more and 20 quid on a relatively accurate one.
Bear in mind it's really just a comparator again.
Also I think it depends on the medication type and partly exercise, what time of day you would exercise.
My particular medication candesartan I think he's only meant to work effectively for about nine hours.
I'll take mine in the morning.
Consequently without exercise my BP rises in the evening, and can be highest in the morning until I take my medication about an hour after that.
I think the OP, Is making too many measurements, (and I've done this myself) not sticking to a daily routine of measuring when relaxed.
If you don't take too many measurements in time the white coat syndrome will not be so effective when you're doing it in a relaxed atmosphere at home
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 7:08pm Hi,
Which magazine warn against wrist mounted monitors, as they found they're not usually reliable. I think kinetik was one of the manufacturers that got poor reviews too, but I'm not sure, as the older obsolete models have been taken down from their website now.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
ossie

Post by ossie »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 12:06pm
Alcohol certainly raises my blood pressure. If I stop drinking for a few weeks I see a noticeable drop. The internet tells me I'm borderline hypertension, strangely my GP doesn't bat an eye lid. Likewise when having pre ops / operations, minor medical things where they happily take your BP.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Likewise when having pre ops / operations, minor medical things where they happily take your BP.
That's when I decided to get some advice - before a minor procedure to remove a lump on a knuckle, the surgeon (whose name was Vlad - can you believe it?!) took my bp and I nearly fell off the chair when he called out the measurements... :roll:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ossie

Post by ossie »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 8:24pm
Likewise when having pre ops / operations, minor medical things where they happily take your BP.
That's when I decided to get some advice - before a minor procedure to remove a lump on a knuckle, the surgeon (whose name was Vlad - can you believe it?!) took my bp and I nearly fell off the chair when he called out the measurements... :roll:
My surgeons nickname for a couple of back ops was 'hatchet' :( . I did have a result for a pre op urine test that came back squiffy, I was abruptly told 'tumour' by the male nurse, only for the nurse next to him jump in and ask if I'd had consumed alcohol in the last 24 hours, answer yes but a scary thought none the less.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

axel_knutt wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 7:58pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 7:08pm Hi,
Which magazine warn against wrist mounted monitors, as they found they're not usually reliable. I think kinetik was one of the manufacturers that got poor reviews too, but I'm not sure, as the older obsolete models have been taken down from their website now.
Any wrist mounted kit I've used has proven to be less than useless. Smart watches that say they are BP compatible should be banned