View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: View from the bridge

Post by Mick F »

Here's some more.
Guess where .......... one is obvious. :wink:
PICT0022.JPG
Forth Bridge.jpg
PICT0002.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
peetee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 10:11am Ooo, goody. I had hoped a picture of the Forth rail bridge would feature eventually. IMHO the most magnificent, beautiful structure ever built. :D
What not this-

Ok so not end to end...but self supported.. :)
Attachments
91285388-4021-462F-9AB4-B6C8F1FE5CC3.jpeg
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 5 Dec 2021, 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Is the bottom of 3 the Severn bridge. I keep away from the edge when crossing in case I get blown over the railings. :roll:

Don't recognise the top one but if in lejog order it could be North of Inverness.
And if it is I rode over it but couldn't see more than a few yards in front of me due to the rain. :(
It's nice to see what I missed, maybe next time.
Last edited by rjb on 3 Dec 2021, 1:55pm, edited 3 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 10:48am Hi,
peetee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 10:11am Ooo, goody. I had hoped a picture of the Forth rail bridge would feature eventually. IMHO the most magnificent, beautiful structure ever built. :D
What not this-
IMG_0245.JPG
Ok so not end to end...but self supported.. :)
Yep I think Brunel's Royal Albert bridge takes the top spot too. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sorry but to my eye the Saltash bridge seems like a strange mix of vertical lines and arcs and a bit top-heavy. It looks like the top arches should be pushing the piers over. I understand the physics behind it, but the end result just doesn’t do it for me.
But while we are talking Brunel, well, the Maidenhead railway bridge is pure, elegant, engineering genius.
75FDB667-1C82-4003-A9CA-D0B6DBC3C4BD.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

peetee wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 1:15pm Sorry but to my eye the Saltash bridge seems like a strange mix of vertical lines and arcs and a bit top-heavy. It looks like the top arches should be pushing the piers over. I understand the physics behind it, but the end result just doesn’t do it for me.

Engineering looking right and looking wrong is a fascinating subject...

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

This is how it should look. Without the road bridge in view. It's hanging in my dining room as a reminder.
n43.jpg
n43.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Mick F wrote: 3 Dec 2021, 10:46am Here's some more.
Guess where .......... one is obvious. :wink:

PICT0022.JPGForth Bridge.jpgPICT0002.JPG
The top one looks like the Kessock Bridge going north from Inverness.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a shot or two from near here only yesterday walking the doggie.

Notice the use of miles and chains that BR use for distance and the use of both metres and feet for the height.

CAL is the Callington Branch Line, but it only goes to Gunnislake these days and only to the new station which is 300yds+ nearer these days.
IMG_0915.jpg
IMG_0916.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Royal Albert Bridge
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Albert_Bridge

"The two spans are lenticular trusses with the top chord of each truss comprising a heavy tubular arch in compression, which tend to expand in length under load, while the bottom chord comprises a pair of chains, which tend to contract in length under load. By design, these two effects cancel so that there is no net change in length under load. This in turn enables each of the trusses to be simply supported with no horizontal thrust exerted on the piers, which is crucial in view of the curved track on either side. Between these two chords are supporting cross-bracing members and suspension standards which hang beneath the bottom chord to carry the railway deck which is a continuous plate beam"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's a couple of shots from me today.
Walking the doggie along the old railbed south of Tavistock to Shillamill Viaduct.
Disused railway on the old Plymouth Okehampton route.
The viaduct is gated at either end, but it is in a sound condition and they hope to reopen the line from Tavistock to Bere Alston where there is already a connection to Plymouth.
IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

The swing bridge across the entrance to Preston Docks.
P1160659.JPG
The view down the River Ribble over the hydraulic-ram operated lock gates, and heading seaward.
P1160657 (2).JPG
Some carved water level marks on the lock wall in Roman numerals; indicating 30,29,28 etc, feet presumably.
P1160664 (2).JPG
The river was navigated by the Romans, at least as far as their fort at Ribchester, I don't think the above incised scrawl on the wall is theirs though..
The pyramid shaped building in the first picture is the Riversway Bridge control centre, nothing to do with the Egyptians either.
Interesting history of the Ribble
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Ribble
It's a mighty river by the time it gets to Preston, about 60 or 70 metres across.
The excellent Preston Guild Wheel circular, shared-use route around the town runs alongside it for a good bit.
https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-a ... ild-wheel/
Nu-Fogey
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Tweed at Dryburgh
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

colin54 wrote: 3 Jan 2022, 8:30am The swing bridge across the entrance to Preston Docks.
P1160659.JPG
The view down the River Ribble over the hydraulic-ram operated lock gates, and heading seaward.
P1160657 (2).JPG
Some carved water level marks on the lock wall in Roman numerals; indicating 30,29,28 etc, feet presumably.
P1160664 (2).JPG
The river was navigated by the Romans, at least as far as their fort at Ribchester, I don't think the above incised scrawl on the wall is theirs though..

The pyramid shaped building in the first picture is the Riversway Bridge control centre, nothing to do with the Egyptians either.
Interesting history of the Ribble
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Ribble
It's a mighty river by the time it gets to Preston, about 60 or 70 metres across.
The excellent Preston Guild Wheel circular, shared-use route around the town runs alongside it for a good bit.
https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-a ... ild-wheel/
Nice pics we should do a ride sometime!!

you have a PM re touriste....

Cheers James