View from the bridge

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: View from the bridge

Post by peetee »

Looking south west across the embankment at Brea village. Just forward of the train is a bridge that allowed villagers access to Cooks Kitchen and South Crofty copper and tin mines and the industry beyond. At the base of the embankment are two tunnels one for pedestrians the other for a stream called Red River, named so because of the sediments that washed downstream from the mineral extraction processes. Beyond the train to the right was the vast Dolcoath Mine complex, the most prosperous of all the Cornish mines and the hillside in the background was the site of Williams Shaft, the deepest of all at 550 fathoms (3300 feet).
7005D3E5-A7F1-4657-BC3F-C2E23E11FA6A.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

peetee wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 9:54am Looking south west across the embankment at Brea village. Just forward of the train is a bridge that allowed villagers access to Cooks Kitchen and South Crofty copper and tin mines and the industry beyond. At the base of the embankment are two tunnels one for pedestrians the other for a stream called Red River, named so because of the sediments that washed downstream from the mineral extraction processes. Beyond the train to the right was the vast Dolcoath Mine complex, the most prosperous of all the Cornish mines and the hillside in the background was the site of Williams Shaft, the deepest of all at 550 fathoms (3300 feet). 7005D3E5-A7F1-4657-BC3F-C2E23E11FA6A.jpeg
Great picture Peetee-- just something nice about the contrasting orange of the bike and yellow of the train against the green of the scenery.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

viewtopic.php?p=1224561&hilit=clitters#p1224561

Quite deep too, and only a mile or so from where we live.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Having gone that way thousands and thousands of times over the years, I blame the cyclist. Full stop.
Plunging down Newbridge Hill to the bridge, you are freewheeling at 30mph+. Stay in PRIMARY!

Take the curve onto the bridge, still in primary, and stay there until you take the righthander up the hill into Devon.
The bridge gets wider as you go across into England, and there's a shortcut off to the left, so vehicles often take that rather than the curve to the right.

The main issue with the bridge, is coming back the other way.

The bridge has a priority system. The Gunnislake end has priority over the England end, so when (as a cyclist) you come down to the England end of the bridge, also down hill and doing maybe 20odd mph, you probably have to stop to allow the Cornish side to take priority. You tend to be at the front with a car or three behind you as there is NOWHERE to overtake you for a mile or more due to bends and double white lines and a narrow road.

Off you go, pedalling off, and the cars who have been "stuck" behind you want to overtake at the wide end of the bridge .......... knowing full well that it gets narrower and narrower.

Again, stay in PRIMARY and stop the idiot behind you trying to get past. If they knock you off, you'll be plunged into the river over the low walls .................. only at hip-height when on a bike.

As soon as you exit the bridge, it's uphill up Newbridge Hill into the village, and there's plenty opportunities for the traffic to overtake you as you'll be doing 5-7mph up there.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

20220119_112832.jpg
Bridge over Chesterfield canal less than half a mile from the Trent at Stockwith Basin ......
Last edited by landsurfer on 13 Feb 2022, 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I took a tour Mick F. Not a great deal to see really, no thatched cottages or old worlde pubs. Just a world famous cornish pasty factory!
Do any famous people reside there?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Edward Woodward and Michele Dotrice lived nearby until Edward died. Michelle now lives in Rock (across the river from Padstow). Their daughter married a local chap from Gunnislake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michele_Dotrice

Dawn French is moving here I understand. May have already done.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 3:09pm Gunnislake!

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-712- ... dge-290255

Al
Definitely the car driver for sure.
They know the road as they are taking a shortcut to beat the truck up the hill.
That sort of driver needs a ban for sure!
What did the cyclist do wrong?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not victim blaming.
Please get that straight. Car driver shouldn't have overtaken.

However ............... and this is the main point.
The cyclist should have been in primary. He/she would have come down Newbridge Hill at 30mph without pedalling. It's a 30mph limit, though traffic usually exceeds that.

Having come through the village through the traffic lights, the road goes down and down to the bridge. It's not wide, and often traffic is coming up. No chance of anyone overtaking anyone ................ unless a cyclist is hanging in by the side and allowing the idiot car drivers to squeeze past.

Same as down at the bridge ......... where it is DANGEROUS.

Stay in primary, don't hug the side, and don't allow the cars to overtake you. Stay in primary across the bridge, and as you climb the hill, they can overtake easily or even turn off up the steep shortcut.

Stay in primary, and all will be well.
Hug the side, and you are putting yourself in grave danger.

I'm a local.
I drive a car, have driven a bus, but I've always been a cyclist. Been cycling round here since 1985.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:47pm Not victim blaming.
Please get that straight. Car driver shouldn't have overtaken.

However ............... and this is the main point.
The cyclist should have been in primary. He/she would have come down Newbridge Hill at 30mph without pedalling. It's a 30mph limit, though traffic usually exceeds that.

Having come through the village through the traffic lights, the road goes down and down to the bridge. It's not wide, and often traffic is coming up. No chance of anyone overtaking anyone ................ unless a cyclist is hanging in by the side and allowing the idiot car drivers to squeeze past.

Same as down at the bridge ......... where it is DANGEROUS.

Stay in primary, don't hug the side, and don't allow the cars to overtake you. Stay in primary across the bridge, and as you climb the hill, they can overtake easily or even turn off up the steep shortcut.

Stay in primary, and all will be well.
Hug the side, and you are putting yourself in grave danger.

I'm a local.
I drive a car, have driven a bus, but I've always been a cyclist. Been cycling round here since 1985.
Whatever the cyclist should have done or not done the main point is that the driver of the car endangered someone else by a stupid manoeuvre.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 3:49pm ... I blame the cyclist. Full stop.
Mick F wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 7:47pm Not victim blaming.
Please get that straight.
Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

IMG_20220323_075644.jpg
On the bridge over Wallgate at the north end of the platform at Wigan North Western station waiting to get on a train to Warrington & onward connection to Chester yesterday.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I was going to be at a loose end in Birmingham all day Thursday (I was delivering a friend to a hospital appointment at the QEH for 8:30am & didn't need to be back til 5pm. It dawned on me that an old friend lives at the northern edge of Worcester and that the two aren't that far apart. So I decided to cycle down using the towpath of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. Here is my trusty steed at the footbridge at Kings Norton Junction, where the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal branches off the W&B.
IMG_20220428_094319 (Large).jpg
IMG_20220428_094330 (Large).jpg
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.