CTC Shop and Wiggle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: CTC Shop and Wiggle

Post by JohnW »

I've never used Wiggle or Evans. I use my LBSs because they're a backbone of the hobby and penny-pinching meanness in sourcing everything as cheaply as I could would mean less (or no) support for my LBSs............and if we all did that there'd be no LBSs and then, make no mistake, we'd all be sorry.

I did use GBCycles/Bike+ when they were the CTC shop, because they were accessible, approachable, they behaved a lot more like an LBS, they could supply items which my LBSs couldn't, and the did (at first at least) stock the CTC badges etc.

If a CTC shop doesn't stock and sell CTC branded items and memorabilia, then in my opinion it just ain't the CTC shop......and in any case, is it ethical for CTC to be in competition with the LBSs? In fact, from time to time I still order by post from GBCycles/Bike+.

There have been numerous posts on the Forum to the effect that despite the perceived (by some) advantages of Wiggle, the advantages were equally accessible to non-CTC members.

All that Paul Smith says (above) is valid and rings-true with me.

Now - where can we buy CTC badges - lapel badges? - embroidered patch-badges? - CTC frame transfers? - does the current CTC understand why anyone wants to buy them? I can't resist slipping this one in, but does the current CTC understand the residual but lingering affection for the Winged-Wheel?
gaz

Post by gaz »

It's almost 12 months since Matt Mallinder told us that CTC stickers would soon be available. Soon was not defined. Perhaps stock will arrive just in time to be heavily discounted for the re-brand.

As for all those little gift items, CTC currently directs you to Image, who offer nothing CTC branded.

Wiggle has been mentioned upthread as the Sustrans shop: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/support-us/o ... hip-wiggle

Together we'll be working to encourage more people to enjoy the network and to raise around £200,000, generated through the sale of Sustrans branded products by Wiggle and fundraising by staff and customers.

The partnership was announced in March, I've yet to find a Sustrans branded item at Wiggle. Sustrans continues to run it's own Sustrans Shop.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks for that gaz - yes, I've seen the 'CycleMiles' site - plenty there isn't there? - I've seen quite a lot of those things in various ordinary shops. The only things that I have of that ilk is a pair of cufflinks, bought for me by my daughter, but they don't appear on the 'CycleMiles' site!

As you say though - it's nothing to do with CTC.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gaz wrote: 26 Jul 2015, 1:30pm It's almost 12 months since Matt Mallinder told us that CTC stickers would soon be available. Soon was not defined. Perhaps stock will arrive just in time to be heavily discounted for the re-brand.

As for all those little gift items, CTC currently directs you to Image, who offer nothing CTC branded.

Wiggle has been mentioned upthread as the Sustrans shop: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/support-us/o ... hip-wiggle
Together we'll be working to encourage more people to enjoy the network and to raise around £200,000, generated through the sale of Sustrans branded products by Wiggle and fundraising by staff and customers.
The partnership was announced in March, I've yet to find a Sustrans branded item at Wiggle. Sustrans continues to run it's own Sustrans Shop.
NB date.

Sustrans Shop clearance:
https://shop.sustrans.org.uk/january-sa ... M1,VD6JW,1

Jonathan
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

There are quite a few CTC badges on eBay.

I assume what was left unsold of the old 'CTC' branded items must be at the current HQ in Guildford? For anyone who wants anything my recommendation would be to email cycling@cyclinguk.org. Matt Mallinder was the 'commercial manager' when I was involved, although that's no longer his role he may know where all the old items (if any) are now stored.

When I ran the shop we literally had boxes and boxes of stickers, badges, mugs and even bikes (CTC branded yellow Brompton) plus quite a large variety of clothing, although I dare say the latter would have all gone by now and replaced with the current range; clicking through the current shop doesn't seem to offer that much.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Isn't it just a charity with members as an afterthought these days?